Thursday, January 17, 2008

Polaroid Birthday



Still playing with that Doodlebug birthday set I got last weekend. I "borrowed" a scrapbook-style layout for this card. (Imagine a filmstrip of photos in place of the stamped images, with a Polaroid-style frame highlighting one photo.) I think it works here, too.

I have a question to throw out there. I've "collected" acrylic stamps for a while, but only recently have I started actually using them. I'm having trouble finding a permanent black ink to use with the images I want to color). I usually use Staz-On (as I did here), but I've read in places that the solvent ink can damage the acrylic stamps over time. I just picked up a Brilliance Graphite pad (I think), but it ends up stamping like a pale gray most of the time, instead of a crisp black. (I'm stamping on a cushion, too.) I'm looking for the Palette Noir pad next.... any tips, suggestions, recommendations?

Stamps: Doodlebug Birthday (Doodlebug Designs); Everyday Flexible Phrases (Stampin' Up)
Ink: Brocade Blue, Real Red, Barely Banana, Mellow Moss, Jet Black Staz-On
Paper: Real Red, Brocade Blue, Barely Banana, Mellow Moss, Confetti White
Accessories: dimensionals, Spica clear glitter pen, yellow "bigger brad" by Close to my Heart, distressing tool, flower by Close to my Heart, word window punch, red gingham ribbon

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute card! As far as stamping black with acrylics, I like the Palette Noir. I also like the black Versafine pad. Both give good blacks.

Alhambra Club said...

This card is adorable, already have it cased in my mind. For ink I use the Versafine pad, did not know there was a problem with the ink and acrylics.

Lisa Carroll said...

Oh my, this is SO cute! Great colors and what a clever idea with the "Polaroid" frame! Great for use with all those itty bitty images that are just too small to use by themselves on a card, KWIM? Awesome idea! :)

As for ink, I would highly recommend Memories. It's the ONLY black (dye) ink I have ever used or needed (I've tried others, but always come back to my Memories), and I like to use several coloring methods - watercolor, Prismas/Gamsol, etc. I just give it a quick blast with my heat tool just to make sure it's completely dry (and, because I am incredibly impatient, LOL ;)) and it has never failed me. Best of all, it is FABULOUS with acrylics. It never beads up, awesome, crisp coverage every time... I just love it. Hope this helps! :)

By the way, I normally lurk (daily), but wanted to say that I love your blog. You are very gifted and I am so greatful that you choose to share your talent with us! :) Have a great day.....

Carolyn King said...

This is soo cute...love the filmstrip idea.

I am no expert but what I generally use is brilliance black or palatte ink.

Good luck!

Pegg S said...

Very cute card! I would suggest Versafine - juicy black -- BUT it has bled when I watercolor or use prismacolor pencil/gamsol. I need to buy Palette as well! I think you should go with that!

Anonymous said...

Adorable card! I use Palette Hybrid Noir or Burnt Umber always now. They work best on Papertrey Stampers select from all my attempts and goofs at finding the right combo.
Cyndi
ps I'm adding a link later today for a page that I did using your "are you my Mother" card as inspiration :)

My Paper World said...

So cute! I love the tied ribbon around the frame! and the colours look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love this card! What a great way to use up all those plastic slide mounts that came in so many kits I've collected... I going to have to lift this design!

Tee said...

Love the card!!
It is such a wonderful idea..will have to case it..
As for the ink, if you're using the stamp for the first time, brilliance graphite will look like grey. Just clean the stamp before its first use, to remove the oil and then stamp. it will give you crisp black image. I have used it without any issues!

I think palette inks will work well too..i don't have those though!