Sunday, January 4, 2009

Year in Review, Part 1

Have you been seeing all the "year in review" posts around blogland? I first saw this idea on Amy Westerman's blog, Heartfelt Greetings, where she picked her favorite card of each month throughout 2008. She got the idea from someone else, who got the idea from someone else, and so on. I saw a similar round-up again on Sharon Johnson's blog, No Time To Stamp, and began to think it would be fun to do something like that too. I followed Amy's lead and picked a favorite from each month, rather than just my top ten overall. I'll start with the first half of 2008 today, and then tomorrow I'll show the last half. I hope you enjoy the look back!

One thing I chuckled over as I was looking back was how much I've changed and grown as a stamper (I still can't bring myself to use the word "artist," LOL!). Of course my design skills have improved, as would be expected, but what I chuckled over the most was the change in attitude. I can remember a time not very long ago at all, when, if I made what I thought was a really great card, one that surprised me and made me think, "wow, I actually made this all by myself," I would have the crazy urge never to stamp again. I thought I'd reach my pinnacle, so why not just go out at the top of my game? Of course, I would stamp again, and eventually, some new project would take the old favorite's place (a good thing, I tell ya - lol!). At some point during the past year to eighteen months, I have finally gained enough confidence to trust that there actually WILL be another good idea to come out of this ol' head of mine! And now, instead of wanting to stop, I can't wait to get to that next great thing, whatever it is!

I could be happy enough stamping my way to the next project all holed up by myself in my studio, but how much nicer a journey it is with stamping friends like all of you to share it with! I am so thankful for each one of you who stops by for a visit, and I look forward to all the fun 2009 will surely hold!

So here we go, 2008 in review:

From January 2008



These still make me giggle. Sentiments are: "Loads of Love, Valentine," "You're the complete package, Valentine," "I'm on fire 4U," "Police be my Valentine," and "Your bed or mine? [eek]"


From February 2008:




Altering 3-D projects isn't my strength, but I was thrilled with the way these turned out.


From March 2008:



I overcame my fear of rub-ons :)


From April 2008:



This one was even published!


From May 2008:



My first foray into coloring with Copic markers.


From June 2008:



Love all the bright colors with the crisp white. I can't believe this was all the way back in June, though - that means my current blog banner has been up way too long. But change is a-comin', I promise!

Se you tomorrow with the second half!

20 comments:

Michelle Tech said...

Great stuff Amy!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, Amy! I love everything, but the blue card is my favorite. Can't wait to see what 2009 brings from you!

Anonymous said...

Such fun to look at the year in review with cards. Thanks for sharing. I love visiting your blog for inspiration!

Melisa H.

Michelle said...

These are all great, Amy ~~ but I think the one from March will always be my favorite, because it's the very first one of yours I favorited. I then took a gander at the rest of your gallery & I've been a stalker every since :)

Nancy Riley said...

What a GREAT idea! I really enjoyed seeing the first half of your year in review! It's fun to see how our crafting evolves over time! I can barely stand looking at some of my first attempts at stamping and scrapbooking!

I can relate ... my poor blog needs a facelift too! Do you think my readers are getting tired of seeing the same header that's been there for 1 1/2 YEARS?! LOL!

Unknown said...

And I loved them every one! I'll be back tomorrow for the second half! :-)

Renée said...

love your year in review, Amy! What I love, particularly, is seeing the variety that you create!

I don't think I even want to attempt a year-in-review ... :)

Stef Perry said...

Any, you've just reinforced why I visit your blog often! Beautiful creations! TFS!

kathy e said...

I'm new to your blog so I really enjoyed seeing more of your art. Now I can't wait to have time to go through all your old posts!

Jami said...

What a fun idea! I loved looking back through part of the year with you...look forward to the next part too!!
hugs, Jami

Norine said...

this is a great idea love your work
Hugs
Norine

June Houck said...

What a fabulous idea! I am glad I was not the one who had to choose my favorite Amy Sheffer cards for 2008. I would have to post ~270 pics!

Sharon Field / Inky A*Muse-ment said...

What a fabulous year! Love our cards!

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Love the year in review. All your projects are fabulous! :-)

Conniecrafter said...

its neat to look back over the year!

Bev J. said...

Neat look back at your cards and projects-all look really good to me. tfs

Rosella said...

Thank you for sharing your year Amy! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's review of the next half year. IMO you are an artist. I love your work.
I do have a question for you. I would love to know which set you used for your January favorites. Those vehicles would be so PERFECT for my little Man and his friends and cousins.
Thank you for sharing with us and all the best in 2009!

reeree62 said...

Amy,
OK, I have to tell you that I first fell in love with your blog back in Feb. 08 with those valentines! I abslutely loved them, and still do! So cute!
It's funny, but I've pretty much grown right along with you, and I am always in awe of your creations!!
Lots of HUGS,
Marie

Elmi said...

I have always loved your cards and they have inspired me a lot! I know you have said in the past that you don't really have full confidence in your creativity, but you are one of the best cardmakers I have ever seen, and your cards have always been amazing! I never knew how to properly use layers, texture and flowers until I saw your cards. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You make me happy to when i see your beautifull cards.
Love the paper you used on the you make me happy card. The card is beautifull.