Saturday, January 24, 2009

One of A Kind



By the time this post goes live, I should be on an airplane headed to CHA! Woohoo!! I'm so excited to see all the latest and greatest in the industry and even more, to meet other stamping friends who will be there! I promise I'll take pictures (which is much better than being IN them).
Today I have two projects. Both of my Saturday challenges are sketches this week. And fun ones! This first card is my sample for Jen del Muro's Sketch For You To Try. Take a peek at the sketch over on i{heart}2stamp. That little area in the upper right where the horizontal band starts out as the top layer on the left side, but goes behind another layer on the right side (I'm probably not explaining it very well) gave me fits! On my card, the solid red horizontal strip's disappearance behind the red dotted vertical strip just looked too abrupt. I decided to add the burlap string to literally and figuratively tie it together. I can't wait to see what the other SFYTT girls did in that area. Speaking of SFYTT girls, there's a new kid on the block. Please give some love to the newest sketch sampler, the fabulous Kelly Lunceford (aka atomicbutterfly on SCS)!

Jen del Muro and guest designer Kirsten DuBosque
Amy Rohl
Carole Burrage
Kelly Lunceford
Shannan Teubner

Susan Liles

Wanna give the sketch a try? Just upload your project to your blog or SCS (SCS keyword is SFYTT), then link up your creation to Jen's post. Hope you can play along! And here's something all you SFYTT fans won't want to miss: Jen has a blog blinkie for the SFYTT sketches now! To add it to your blog, all you need to do is follow the instructions HERE. I{heart}sketches ... how 'bout you?

The adorable daisy and ladybug image is from Anna Wight's new Fish Friends set, available at Whipper Snapper Designs. The sentiment is from Friendly Expressions, also one of Anna's new sets. I stamped on white and colored with Prismacolors and Gamsol. I stamped the image a second time, colored and trimmed out the flower only and adhered it on top of the first one with dimensionals. The sentiment banner is just a little bit contoured so it bows outward in the middle. The paper is Twitterpated by Imaginesce.

Next up is my sample for this week's sketch challenge at Our Creative Corner. Our January host, Jennifer Meyer, put this one together. I thought it would be perfect to use with these two fish, also from the Fish Friends set. The sentiment is from Friendly Expressions.



I watercolored the circles first, using a Taken With Teal re-inker (I know, can you believe?! I might even need to re-order Taken With Teal card stock with my next Stampin' Up order ... who'd have thought?). The fish are stamped separately, watercolored (Summer Sun, More Mustard, and Really Rust), trimmed out, and coated with Crystal Effects. The bubbles are a separate stamp and I stamped those onto the backgrounds, then dotted one set of bubbles with Crystal Effects. Why not the other? I forgot :) Except for the two brads, all those Taken With Teal circles on the middle panel are just punched 1/2" and 1/4" circles coated with Crystal Effects. The designer papers are from Nana's Nursery Baby Boy Collection by DCWV.

Don't forget to take a look at what the other OCC designers came up with. You can see all the samples together on the OCC blog, as well as individually on the designers' personal blogs:

Cindy Haffner
Dawn Easton
Denise Marzec
Jackie Pedro
Jennifer Meyer
Julee Tilman
Kim Teasdale
Laurie Schmidlin
Lynda Benden
Silke Ledlow

A special welcome and thanks to Carla, aka cmsuto, who joins us as our guest designer this week!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great weekend!

41 comments:

Denise Marzec said...

LOVE the fun papers on both cards. I'll be headed over to Jen's blog to print that sketch. Looks FUN! Love the way you threaded the hemp twine.

Cindy Motz said...

These are adorable! I love the paper on the lasybug card and how you laced the cord. And the fish card, I love the bubbles! Too cute!

Erum Tasneem said...

Both cards are great! I have always loved your details! You make such wonderful cards!

Desire Fourie said...

Enjoy your CHA show. These cards are just beautiful and the fishy one is seriously eye catching. Hugs from Desire

Christina Hill said...

Wow your one of a kind card is fantastic. Love the corset effect with tying the two ends of paper together with twine. Very nice.

Jacqueline said...

These both are gorgeous beyond belief!! I love the twine on the first card and the fishes are great on the second! I just love both of these cards!!

Dawn Easton said...

Ack Amy! Both cards are absolutely adorable! Love the cute cute cute images on both and all your details are perfect, as always!
Have fun at CHA!

Danielle said...

Stunning cards Amy! I love both but the fishy one has to be my favourite - the colours are just fabulous! And how lucky are you to be going to CHA! Enjoy and can't wait to see what fun stuff you come back with!
Danielle

Lynda Benden said...

Both card are fantastic Amy! Jen's sketch and Anna's new set are fantastic. Your OCC card is darling too! Love the papers and your fish, too cute!!! Have fun at CHA!!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Awesome cards - Amy!!! Have fun at CHA!!!

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

DARLING!! =) Great layouts, papers, and all those details...just perfect!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Thanks for the shout out Amy! I love, love both of your cards! Such fun details! TFS

Michelle said...

These are both ADORABLE Amy!! I love Taken with Teal also, went through quite a phase with it bu tnow realize I haven't used it in a while. Thanks for reminding me how gorgeous it is!! Have fun in CHA, can't wait to see pics!!

Amy Rohl said...

Love, love, love the fish and that fun sentiment! The bubbles are perfect and I love the color combo!

Your SFYTT ain't too shabby either, Amy! The tied horizontal layer is so very cool and I love the popped up flower!

DoxieGirl said...

OH SO CUTE! You people and the Anna stamps... you're killing me! :) I must have them... don't know how I can afford getting them, but I will. Oh I will! :)
Great cards, great colors, and I am totally inspired to use some crystal effects now! LOL
~Kendra

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Fabulous cards, Amy! The fishies are so cute!

Stephanie Hargis said...

Wow Amy! Both cards are incredible girl! I REALLY love how you did the burlap string on the first one! It looks really good! AND, surprisingly enough, I really like the color combination on your second card! It is just adorable! :D

Shannan Teubner said...

These are both AWESOME, Amy! Can't wait to see ya!

Jessie/knightrone said...

OMGosh girl, these are both SO STINKIN cute!!!! I hope you have a FABULOUS time at CHA!!

Basement Stamper said...

Both cards are adorable. I especially like the little flower one and the colors you picked for it!

Heather P. said...

Love these... What fun! :)

Cindy Haffner said...

Girl your cards are gorgeous. Such eye candy.

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS cards!!! Love all the details!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Hi Amy :) Your cards are beautiful, LOVE the fun detail on both!

Have fun at CHA, Jennifer :)

Kathy Jones said...

Two absolutely beautiful cards!!! I love all the little details you put into your cards - truly inspiring!!! :)

Smita said...

Lovely colors used in both cards. This was my first visit to your blog, but I guess I will drop in often now :-)

Love,
Smita

Unknown said...

Two more amazing cards Amy!
Enjoy CHA!!!
Viv xxx

Rebecca Ednie said...

I love both cards but the fish are fabulous. The teal dots in the middle of the card are perfect. Tfs how you did them. I really like the lacing on the top card too. Cool idea.

Cheryl said...

Both cards are so beautiful!!! I love the colour combos and the stamps are just adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

I love both of these cards! Very classic but fun. Love that.

When does scrapbook club start up again? Don't some of our hostesses need to get their prizes?

Kicki said...

GORGEOUS cards!!! Love all the details! :-)

Amy, I have made a card with a lot of inspiration from one of yours, If you want to see it, look in here: http://scrapkia.blogspot.com/
Now, I have a translater if you want to read. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Amy, I don't usually leave you comments because you always get so many wonderful comments and I figure you don't really need mine but I just love the colors and fresh look of the flower and ladybug card. Although all your cards are beautiful!

Linda Beeson said...

Your creations are just so adorable. What really great details. Hope you have a ball at CHA.

Bethany Paull said...

These are wonderful cards! The red one just jumps right out at me. LOVE the laced thread and pop up flower.

Stamp and Smile said...

Perfection for sure! I love them both and again the cards get me in the spring fever mode! Smiles :)

Conniecrafter said...

Just love what you did with the sketch in the first one, so creative and love the daisy with the little lady bug!
The second card is too cute too, I love your bubbles!

Jeannie said...

Two great cards - but especially luv the fish!!

Jeannie

Christyne said...

These cards are just ADORABLE! Hope you are having a blast at CHA!

diane zechman said...

very cute sketches- your samples are Darling!

Anonymous said...

I love this card! Taken With Teal is my absolute favorite color!

Lorelie Kim said...

You're simply AMAZING!! Your creations are always so well thought out and the end results are STUNNING!!