Friday, March 28, 2008

Speed Scrapbooking



I've been a little quiet for a few days. While I was away, I learned a hard lesson - four days isn't enough time to prepare an Artisan Award entry. LOL! I tried, I really did ... begged, borrowed and stole every spare moment and then some, stayed up way too late, but in the end, it just didn't come together. If I only had another day or two, but whose fault for waiting until the last minute?! I'm a little disappointed in myself that I'm not giving it a shot, but hopefully there will be more chances to enter in future years. And no matter what, it will still be the Stampin' Up award highest up on my "watch list." Good luck to those who entered!

As I was attempting to put together some projects for the contest, I was reminded of a speed scrapbooking strategy I adopted a few years ago, but forgot somewhere along the way. Whenever I used to make a card I was really happy with, I would immediately make a coordinating scrapbook page. The supplies were already out, the concept was already executed, all I had to do was adapt everything to a larger canvas. I got a lot of pages done that way!

Today's project was my attempt to remake this card into a scrapbook page. I love this picture of my mom holding my sleeping daughter. It's not a particularly great photo, but it's one that resonates with me on an emotional level. Photos of quiet moments like this don't need a whole lot of description, so instead of journaling, I went with this quote: "A garden of love grows in a grandmother's heart."

Stamps: From the Garden, Print Pattern, All Holidays
Paper: Always Artichoke, Soft Sky, Chocoalte Chip, Whisper White, So Saffron
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Always Artichoke, Soft Sky, So Saffron
Accessories: aged copper hodgepodge hardware, soft sky double-stitched ribbon, corner rounder (for scallops), sewing machine, paper piercer, edge distressor, aqua painter, 1" circle punch

All supplies by Stampin' Up!

18 comments:

Jackie Pedro said...

What a precious page!! I love the idea of speed scrapbooking. My first love was scrapbooking, but I have strayed away because I love the immediate gratification of card making.

Regina Cornelius regcorn@zoominternet.net said...

Oh Amy!!!! that is beautiful! i loved the card too...no wonder it was great inspiration for a scrapbook page! wow is all i can say!!!!!!
regina

Alhambra Club said...

this is such an awesome page, it is fantastic, what a beautiful photo and fantastic page.

Tracy said...

thats just beautiful and so is the card!

pescbrico said...

I wish my scrapbooking would look like yours that you call speed scrapbook! :) Have a wonderful day!

stamp500 said...

I think that this is fabulous!

Jessie/knightrone said...

As soon as I saw this page, I thought of the card you had made. What a fabulous idea for "speed"scrapbooking, but I will say, the end result doesn't look like you were"speeding" at all!!! Gorgeous, and that senitment definitely says it all.

Jennifer Reynard said...

Fabulous layout. What a precious picture as well. TFS

Darce Roberts said...

WOW...what a fabulous page! And you're right, that sentiment is perfect!

I'm sorry you weren't able to come up with something you were happy with for the Artisan Award; however, something tells me you were probably being way too hard on yourself! Come on...show us and let us be the judge! :)

Ms. Crafty If You're Nasty said...

i love this page... i don't even know you guys and it tugs at my heart strings... great job setting it off beautifully... :)

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful!!!!!!

Alyssa S said...

Your quote is absolutely perfect! I loved your watercoloring on the card and you did a fantastic job again on the page. TFS a great idea! :)

Unknown said...

super page amy - great idea. i have been adapting card sketches to LOs because i am so behind on my scrapbooking but i want to "play" with all the sketch challenges. there is always future contests - i get bogged down too!!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous page! It strikes right to the heart. Absolutely lovely! I love your idea of speed scrapbooking! Thanks for sharing the idea...Mary

julie said...

Amy, your stuff is great, start preparing early next year and you'll make your goal.

Thanks for the tip of speedy scrapping. Great!
Julie

Sears Family said...

this is a beautiful page!

I, too, tried to get the artisan projects done in about 4 days and just could not do it. I am still a bit bummed- but I know that I want to start early next year!!

love your blog!

Kristin Moore said...

Gorgeous page Amy! I love your concept of working a favorite card into a layout! Will have to try that! You are so good with that flower- such stunning coloring! Way to go!

Don't feel too bad about the Artisan Award- at least you gave it a shot. I tend to forget until the deadline is completely over!

Soozie4Him said...

Oh, I just LOVE your page! I'm a brand-new Grandma - my precious baby granddaughter Anna is 5 weeks old and the time is flying by! I gave up SB'ing when I started making cards, but I plan to make Anna a scrapbook.

Susan, aka Soozie4Him on SCS