Friday, November 2, 2007

Tomorrow's the Day ...

... my little girl turns 4! Guess what we did all day? This ...





Crazy, huh? I found a bunch of cool castle cake ideas online and went to Michael's in search of just a few things ... rolled fondant and some sprinkles. But while we were there (you crafters know how this story goes, right?) ... we found some OTHER things ... like this very cool castle cake kit! It was $20, but I had the coupon, so I got it for $12. I figured I couldn't buy a cake that cheap, even after adding in the cake itself and the frosting. And why reinvent the wheel, when here was the very cake I was out to make?

Like so many endeavors, it really wasn't that simple. Three trips later, I finally had everything I needed ... all the decorating tips, the flower cutters and foam mat for the fondant flowers, meringue powder for the royal icing, etc. I don't even want to know what this cake actually cost!

It was reminiscent of my first Stampin' Up party ;) I was supposed to make cards with just stamps, ink, and paper. Yea, right.

As a wise, and honest woman once said (or was it her husband?), "Buying stamps to save money on cards is like buying a yacht to fish to save money on groceries."

11 comments:

My Paper World said...

Wow! The cake is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

It's official! You ARE crazy! Not having girls, I never got to make a castle cake, and I'm a tad bit jealous!

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW! That is gorgeous! I wouldn't want to let anyone eat it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is the most awesome cake I have ever seen! You did a fantastic job!!! Love your puns at the end of your post, but really, when we put our heart into these kind of endeavors, it really shows! Also, the memories will always be there.
Congrat's to you!!! And happy birthday to a very lucky little girl!

June Houck said...

Well, I saw your picture, and before reading your blog entry, I thought,"That Amy is Super Mom!" That is the most fantastic birthday cake ever! How on earth do you have time to create all these wonderful things, and take such good care of your family? Obviously you don't sleep :)

I like the yacht analogy...the truth hurts...

Anonymous said...

Amy, that cake is incredible! I keep looking at it. I couldn't do that in a million years!
LOVE the yacht analogy! Made me laugh out loud!

Anonymous said...

Wow - great job on the cake! Now how are you going to top that next year? ;-)

I especially love the quote about buying stamps to save money on cards!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is gorgoeus!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That cake so gorgeous, I wouldn't want to eat it!

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! What a fabulous cake!

Beth M said...

Wow! That is a very special and beautiful cake! Can I place my order?