Saturday, November 7, 2009

Old Fashioned Sleigh



Vintage, aged, antique, old-fashioned - whatever name you give it, it's HOT! My Mind's Eye has come out with two deliciously vintage/heritage collections called Life Stories 1 and Life Stories 2. What I love about them is that the beautiful patterns are printed on a Kraft base. Though neither collection is holiday themed at all, I couldn't help but think of the sleigh in JustRite's Old Fashioned Christmas as a good fit for the rose colors of the Life Stories 2 Collection.

I stamped the sleigh in Ranger Walnut Stain Distress ink onto Prismatics Simply Smooth Ivory card stock, omitting the sentiment that's included as part of the image, and then colored with Prismacolor pencils and blended with Gamsol and paper stumps. Then I inked each section of the sentiment (omitting the sleigh), stamped them separately, and cut them into banners. That left my sleigh a little "naked," so some layering, stitching, and a dotted border from the same JustRite set to the rescue. Each panel is sponged with both Vintage Photo Distress Ink and Walnut Stain Distress Ink, and some of the edges are roughed up with an edge distressing tool as well.

Why, oh why did I manipulate the image and sentiment this way? To fit with Jen's new Sketch For You To Try, of course :) Check it out at i{heart}2stamp, and be sure to visit my fab SFYTT sisters to see what kinds of inspiration they've come up with this week:

Jen del Muro, with a brand new guest designer of the month
Amy Rohl
Kelly Lunceford
Leigh O'Brien
Susan Liles

We love to see you play along! Link your entry to Jen's blog and remember to use keyword SFYTT when uploading to your online gallery.

Before I go, have you seen any of the peeks at what's coming soon from JustRite? If not, here's one:



Oh my heavens, are those squares I see?? YES! And a whole bunch more circle stuff, too! All the new products will be in the Stamper's Dream store in just a couple of short weeks. Way to change it up, JRS! These are going to be FUN!!

Thanks for stopping by!



Stamps: Old Fashioned Christmas Borders & Centers (JustRite Stamps)
Paper: My Mind's Eye Life Stories 2, Prismatics Birchtone Dark and Simply Smooth Ivory card stock, page from an old book
Ink: Ranger Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Inks
Accessories: Prismacolor pencils, blending stumps, Gamsol, sewing machine, foam adhesive, Spellbinders circle and Labels 5 Nestabilities, papertrey buttons, May Arts twill and ivory burlap string, distressing tool

40 comments:

Amy Rohl said...

Vintage gorgeous, Amy! I love those MME papers...mmm, payday is coming soon, think I'll have to check 'em out! Love the twill bow and the "manipulated" sentiment!

Jessica Diedrich said...

This is indeed vintage gorgeousness-something that you do AMAZINGLY well each and every time! I absolutely LOVE this, Amy!!!

pescbrico said...

What a wonderful card!!! Love everything about it!

mimiburroughs said...

LOVE your design!! It's beautiful!! Love the papers & the new JRS!!!

Punkydoodle Papers said...

Good grief Amy - this is so amazing! I love everything about it! Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous card! It is a work of art!

Melisa H.

Chris said...

Wow...this is amazingly gorgeous. I just love all the layers and the vintage look. Beautiful!

Dotty Jo said...

Wonderful! What a sweet, sweet card, love all the details - terrific stitching and a truly fabulous vintage look. Amy, you just blow me away every time! Jo x

Craftin' in the Rain said...

what a beautiful card!

Jessica said...

Oh wow! This is gorgeousness! I saw those papers online and though, meh! But your card is beautiful and makes me want them. This is definitely one my favorites of yours.

Kelly Lunceford said...

This is absolutely delightful and gorgeous all at the same time! I Love those papers, too! I spied them at the scrapbook store the last time I was there, but limited my purchases! I don't think I will be able to resist next time! Gorgeous work as always!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Love this vintage beauty Amy!! Your stitching, the print on the border, and your beautiful coloring and layering are fabulous!! LOVE that paper too!! It's divine!!

Unknown said...

Every time I come to your blog I am in awe of the way you put together "already beautiful" elements to make something even MORE beautiful from them! Awesome, Amy...totally awesome!

Kathy Jones said...

OH WOW Amy!!! You do vintage so very well!!! I love how you combine colours and papers and your embellishing is always perfect!!! Love how you used this JR image and your colouring is fabulous!!! :)

Barbara said...

Stunning! The image is so charming and I love the vintage elegance you put into it. The stitching and colors --- perfection!

Barb

Marisa said...

Fabulous card, Amy! Love the layers of nesties, the stitching and the way you've raised the sentiment panels. Keep them coming :D

Michele Boyer said...

Wow. This is beautiful, Amy. So many details...and each one is perfect!

Angela S. said...

Amy, love the vintage look of this card. I love it.. and love the new Just Right Stamps!!

Only By His Grace said...

Really beautiful. I love how you did the circle in the middle.
Stunning piece of art.
Hugs Marion

Helen Dooley said...

simply a gorgeous card.

Meahni Pieterse said...

It's just gorgeous. Love the old fashioned colour combo!

Marimer said...

Con este toque vintage, es un card precioso, el coloreado del stamp como siempre, genial. Bss.

Jane Wetzel said...

Hi Amy! gorgeous card ! Your sewing is the bomb girl and I love love love this card! :)

Dawn Easton said...

Amy, this is gorgeous girl! Wow! Love that vintage, aged, antique, old fashioned looked....lol!

Elaine said...

Gorgeous card! I like the kraft paper and the colors of the sleigh look great!

Bev J. said...

Love your vintage card-love those papers and the ribbon treatment. tfs

Lynn Put said...

This is beautiful! I love the vintage feel with the warm colors, pretty image and buttons!

auntie lisa said...

This is fabulous Amy! I love the way you did the sentment. Just all around an beautiful card.
Lisa

Silke Ledlow said...

FANTASTIC CARD - AMY!!! Love the vintage touch!!! You definitely rocked this Sketch!!! Hugs ~S~

Cassie said...

this is truly wonderful Amy! i love the use of kraft and all the vintage, shabby goodness! it was one of my favs this week!
cassie
http://www.toptencreations.blogspot.com

Melody said...

Love this vintage paper and how you used it for Christmas!

Barbara said...

Just beautiful, Amy! I love this paper for Christmas! Or anything, LOL!!

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful, such a wonderful vintage feel to it!!

ChristineCreations said...

The way you tied the twill ribbon is perfection with the sweet sled. Beautifully done Amy!

Anonymous said...

wow amy that is gorgeous! and i am trying to NOT see those new just rite stamps UGH!

America said...

lovin' the gorgeous vintage colors, awesome sewing and a FABULOUS card!

Desire Fourie said...

An absolute gorgeously design vintage Xmas creation.
Hugs
Desire

dpkennedy said...

Just gorgeous! Love this sketch!

Laurie Schmidlin said...

Amy, this card literally took my breath away!! SOOOOOOO beautiful...every last detail!!

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Hi Amy!
I found you through Top 10. All your cards are fabulous! I think you would LOVE our new release art stamps. Please pop in, have a look and let me know what you think. They'd be enhanced by your talented hands, I'm sure!

Hugs!