Friday, September 26, 2008

Scrapbook Club Make-and-Take



After a summer hiatus, my scrapbook club is meeting again tonight for some crop time and a make-and-take. I've said before (but it's been a long time) - it's haaaaard coming up with make-and-take ideas. Everyone scraps a little differently, plus there's a mix of women at different ages and stages in the group. We all love papercrafting and we're all wives and moms. But those are about the only things we have in common. I opted for an easy Halloween spread for tonight - can't go wrong with that!

Sorry for the poor photograph - I haven't figured out how to get a good picture of such a big project. Anyway, I'm a bad demo for a lot of reasons ... one is that I don't mind pulling out my retired stuff (Booglie Eyes) and using contraband when it works (oval Nestability). If I were doing a workshop with potential new customers, I wouldn't do this, but these girls have been with me forever, and they don't mind.

The page base is 12x12 black card stock. The large green pieces are just single sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 turned landscape (yay, no cutting!). The space on the left where I've added my watermark is intended for journaling. Since the green panel is 8 1/2 x 11, they'll easily be able to print their journaling on the computer if they want to. They will be stamping the Halloween creatures on watercolor paper and watercoloring with SU markers. See that spider web on the right-hand page? I got that idea from this amazing card by Monika Davis. I wouldn't live to post here again if I had my club ladies stitch that web with a machine!! So we're doing some piercing and faux stitching (with a black marker) instead.

Have I mentioned before how much I loathe full spreads these days? The day I let go of the notion that opposing pages had to match, and started creating stand-alone single pages instead, was the day I found freedom in scrapbooking. One thing I dislike about full spreads is finding a way to visually connect the two sides, so that they really look unified. On this spread I tried to do that with the thin white strip that runs full-width along the bottom and by connecting the two pages with hinges made from Stampin' Up's tag punch.

Here are a couple of detail shots:





Thanks for stopping by!



Stamps: Booglie Eyes [retired], All Holidays (SU!)
Paper: Basic Black, Certainly Celery, Lavender Lace, Tangerine Tango, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink: Basic Black, Jet Black Staz-On (SU!)
Accessories: Basic Black, Certainly Celery, Lavender Lace, Pumpkin Pie, Going Gray markers, paper piercer, silver brads, tag punch, Tangerine Tango double-striped ribbon (all SU!); classic oval Nestability (Spellbinders)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous spread! :) I love your spider web...such a great idea! And I love that stamp set (i've been using it a lot this week) I'm sure your scrapbook club had a blast making that, I know I would have!

Renée said...

Great details, Amy! Love your scrap page. I hate double spreads too, but I love how you made them match without them totally matching!

June Houck said...

I love your LO, but seriously, Amy, those are 3 GORGEOUS children you have!

Gretchen said...

This is soo cute! I love that spider web too, I'm going to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

Great Layout! I love how you used the tag punch for your 'hinges'. You should be proud of your page!!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Great pages Amy! Love the way your faux stitching looks... and yes, it is much easier and faster. Thanks for giving me credit and linking my card on your blog.

Karen Giron said...

Wow, Amy! This is darling! I love the layout.

LeroyLime said...

love it, love it!!! Super cute idea and the pages look FAB together. Love how you used the tag punch as hinges. Thanks for sharing!!!

Tracy said...

if i wasnt so tired i'd be there makin that adorable spread. cute as can be and do i have a ton of halloween pics from many different years yet to scrap!. i love spider web... thats A-dorable!

Michelle said...

Well, as someone who has never scrapped a page in her life, I think it looks AWESOME!!! I'd love to try ~~ just one 2 pager ~~ but wouldn't even know where to begin!! Think I'll stick to cards!!

Unknown said...

hi amy!! FAB spread - adorable pics too!

Candy Bello said...

cute spider web!

:)
candy