Saturday, September 13, 2008

Birthday Birdie



Before I get to today's card info, a few quick notes: First, the diaper favor template -- it's coming! I promise. My design deadlines are coming one after the other, so I'm hunkered down for the weekend getting those things finished. I'll get the template and instructions put together for Monday or Tuesday. Second, my Sketch for You To Try is also coming a little later (same excuse). And third, so far so good on the whole 40 thing!

Okay, on to today's card. Since I'm the host this month at Our Creative Corner, I couldn't flake out on this challenge ;) Plus, it's a sketch challenge, and I love those! Even though I nearly always sketch out my cards on paper before stamping a thing, I've never put together an "official" sketch. Hope this is one you'll like.

I flipped the main image from the left to the right to accommodate my image, which is from Verve's new Birthday Surprise set. The patterned papers all come from the Nana's Nursery Baby Boy collection from DCWV. I stamped the bird on watercolor paper and colored with an aqua painter and reinkers. (By the way, has anyone else had problems watercoloring with Apricot Appeal? Everytime I do, I end up with a splotchy mess. Wondering if it's something about that particular ink color, or if it's my reinker. Can they go bad, I wonder?) The balloons, hat and wing are all stamped a second time, trimmed out and popped up. I coated the balloons with Crystal Effects for some shine.

Be sure to head over to Our Creative Corner to see what all the rest of the designers (Cindy, Dawn, Denise, Jennifer, Julee, Laurie, and Lynda) put together with this sketch. We'd love to have you play along! If you upload to SCS, use keyword: OCCC.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great weekend!



Stamps: Birthday Surprise (Verve)
Paper: Baja Breeze, Apricot Appeal, Whisper White card stock (SU!); Nana's Nursery Baby Boy Collection (DCWV); watercolor paper (Canson)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); Apricot Appeal, Certainly Celery, Baja Breeze (SU)
Accessories: corner rounder, Baja Breeze striped ribbon, Apricot and Celery 1/4" grosgrai, aqua painter, paper piercer, dimensionals, Crystal Effects (all SU); scalloped rectangle Nestability (Spellbinders); clear adhesive crystals (Martha Stewart)

19 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Super duper cute Amy! Love the shine on the balloons. Oh and I totally understand about deadlines ;)

Desirée said...

What a cutie! Love it!

Jackie Pedro said...

40 isn't so bad after all, is it??? LOL! This card is fantastic...love the colors!

Jennifer said...

I am soooo lovin' this card! Those colors are fabulous, and that birdie is adorable.

Catherine said...

oh my, Amy... this is gorgeous!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Gorgeous card Amy! All the details are fabulous - piercing, coloring, papers, bling - this card's got it goin on! :) Loved your first "official" sketch - so much fun to play with!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card - Amy!!! Love how you've displayed the cute new VV Set!!! Great colors and I love all the extra details too!!!
Thanks for inspiring me with your awesome Sketch!!!

Monica said...

omg!! just gorgeous!! i want this stamp!

Jessie/knightrone said...

This is so super cute!! I love it!! I have watercolored with my Apricot Appeal reinker, and never had a problem, so it may be a bad one...sorry!

Shirley said...

This is so cute, pretty, creative and just downright beautiful all rolled into one. That little chick with those balloons is just adorable!

Cindy Haffner said...

So sweet Amy, great way to work the sketch, have a wonderful week-end.

Giovana said...

Beautiful!!!!
God bless
Giovana

Bunny B said...

Gorgeous as always! Love your cards!

mueppi said...

Hi Amy
your card is so beautiful!
Have a wonderful sunday!
Hugs Gisela

Lynda Benden said...

Too cute Amy!! Love the papers and the way you did the balloons ~ darling!!!

Regan said...

OMG!! I'm speechless

Conniecrafter said...

very pretty, such sweet papers and love the coloring and dimension, great, fun card!

Genevieve said...

This is gorgeous, Amy! I love the all the layers and details! And the colors you chose are so perfect!

Stacy said...

LOVE IT! The detail you put into your work is just amazing! I admire your creativity. Thank you so much for sharing!