Saturday, July 5, 2008

Take A Break



Have I mentioned before how much I'm loving the Annie LaPoint stamps by My Favorite Things? They are just so fun to work with! This first card is my sample for Jen's Sketch for You To Try. Another great one! (I know I say that every week, but it's true - her sketches are always great!) You can see the sketch and Jen's sample at i{heart}2stamp, as well as Jen's newest guest designer's sample (but I'm going to make you go there to find out who it is -- hint, hint, she's one of my favorite designers!). Some of my other favorite stampers, Carole, Shannan, and Susan are standing by with even more sketch inspiration. Remember to use keyword SFYTT if you upload to SCS. I hope you'll join us this week!

I set out with the plan to do a shabby, antiqued design. After stamping the image in Memento Rich Cocoa ink, I paper pieced the tub and flowers using various papers from the Simple Pleasures line by Close to My Heart. (I've been doing some purging and reorganizing of my craft room and have come across all sorts of forgotten gems!) I colored the shower head and tub feet with a Copic marker, then went over it with a clear Spica pen. I also added sparkle to the flowers with the clear Spica. A liberal coat of Crystal Effects gives the tub its shine. To complement the distressed look of the designer papers, I heavily sponged the edges of the Very Vanilla panel using a combination of River Rock, Sahara Sand, Creamy Caramel, and True Thyme. I turned the sketch on its side to accommodate the landscape-oriented image. Since the sentiment is part of the stamp, I filled the space where the sentiment panel would normally be with a length of ribbon, then added a bow. The overall shabby look is finished up with lots of stitching, distressing, and sponging ... did somebody say my favorite things?

One thing I like to do every so often is complete a series of sketches, all using the same papers and stamps. Most of the design decisions are made on the first sketch, so it's usually a fairly quick thing to crank out additional cards using different sketches. And by the end, the 3-pack or 4-pack (or even more) makes a great small gift. The next card in this "series" is my sample for this week's challenge over at Our Creative Corner. Our July hostess, Jennifer Meyer, has put together an awesome sketch challenge for the week. And guess what?! More prizes this week!! Go to the OCC blog for all the deets and how-to.



Once again I've used one of the Annie LaPoint images by My Favorite Things. Most of the design elements are the same as the SFYTT card, with a few small differences: This image is colored with Copic markers instead of paper pieced. The edges on the layered panels are still sponged and stitched, but not as heavily distressed. For an embellishment, I added two small pieces of Aged Copper Hodgepodge Hardware, but no ribbon. I also took a page out of fellow OCC designer Denise Marzec's book and decorated the inside of the card, too. I've done that on a bunch of RAKs here lately, and I'm addicted now!

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope to see you this week for one or both of these sketch challenges!



Stamps: Chamomile and Take a Break (My Favorite Things)
Paper: card stock and dp (Close to My Heart); Very Vanilla (SU!)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa (Tsukineko), River Rock, Sahara Sand, Creamy Caramal, True Thyme, Blue Bayou (SU!)
Accessories: clear Spica, Crystal Effects, Copic markers, Aged Copper Hodgepodge hardware, sewing machine and brown thread, sponge daubers, distressing tool, sponges, dimensionals, foam tape, Blue Bayou double-stitched ribbon, paper piercer

22 comments:

Jen said...

Love what you've done with the ribbon, ink and stitching- and the colours are great

Denise Marzec said...

Awesome cards, Amy, WOW!!! That DP is just gorgeous. Love all the stitching too. So pretty!

Dawn Easton said...

Both cards are fabulous Amy! Love the stitching and the sponging...so pretty girl!

Lynda Benden said...

Both cards are just BEAUTIFUL Amy!!! I love the colors you chose and the distressing works perfectly!

Cindy Haffner said...

Lovin both cards, two great sketches.

Denise said...

Awesome cards Amy!! I love the antiqued/weathered look of both of them-- just beautiful!!

Jackie Pedro said...

These are just gorgeous, Amy! I'm with you...I love these Annie LaPointe stamps!!

Renée said...

Both of these cards ROCK! I love your choice of colour and image!

jjcreations said...

Both of these are gorgeous as usual. I love the colours and that bathtub....I've always wanted one with legs! (Maybe not that shower though..LOL) Joan

Jody Morrow said...

Those are both GORGEOUS!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Amy, your cards are amazing. LOVE the vintage look and the distressing is stunning. LOVE both Samples, Jennifer :)

Jennifer Love said...

Oh these two are so yummy! Just fantastic...:)

Anonymous said...

These are both gorgeous Amy! The weathered look is perect and the colors are too!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are GORGEOUS!

Pam Varnell said...

Beautiful as always Amy. Wonderful job on the sketches.

Karen said...

Love your cards! Went all the way back to June 27th, & all your cards are beautiful. You are so talented. I ended up here because of your OCC download & glad I came by. TFS!

Toota-loo,
Karen

Jessie/knightrone said...

OMGosh Amy, you should warn agirl before you say something like that!! I almost jumped up out of my seat. To have you say that I am one of your favorite designers is amazing to me!! Thank you so much, you are awesome, and you KNOW you are one of mine too!

Gunilla/Nilla said...

Thoose cards are the most BEAUTIFUL I´ve seen for a long time!
The colours are amaizing, great details and I just LOVE them!
Have a great day
Gunilla

Kari said...

Both cards are absolutely gorgeous!! Thank you so much for sharing and for the inspiration!!

Libby Hickson said...

These are just gorgeous! I truly love every single thing you create.

Christina Fischer said...

Beautiful, beautiful cards!! I love the shabbiness and the colors!

Conniecrafter said...

These are just Beautiful, so love the color combination!