Saturday, July 19, 2008

Eight is Enough



My first-born turns 8 next month, and I tell you, enough already with this growing up stuff! It's happening too fast. Not to mention, my birthday follows his, so his turning 8 just puts me that much closer to the big 4-o. And can I confess I'm having a really hard time with 40? But let's not dwell on that today. It's not about me ... yet. My day will come soon enough, and then I'll have a whole decade to dwell there. Oh yipee.

Hopefully, you would have guessed I made today's card for my son without me even telling you, because who in her right mind would put this much "stuff" on a card for any other 8-year-old?! It's a little wacky isn't it ... the card, I mean? Not exactly my normal style, but I *think* I like it. It's one of those I keep looking at trying to decide. It's so different. I'll have to put it away until late August and then look at it with a fresh pair of eyes. I'm really curious to hear what you think!

The layout comes from Jen's Sketch for You to Try. Check it out at i{heart}2stamp, along with Jen's sample and guest designer Jessie Rone's sample. Then remember to visit Amy, Carole, Shannan, and Susan to see what they've put together. I hope you'll play along this week! If you upload to SCS, remember to add keyword SFYTT.

This is also my sample for this week's new challenge from Our Creative Corner, which is to do some kind of dry embossing on your project. What a perfect challenge for me! After all, do more than two or three days ever pass before I'm reaching for my Swiss Dots cuttlebug folder? Head over to Our Creative Corner for all the details on how to play, and to see samples by the rest of the OCC team: Cindy Haffner, Dawn Easton, Denise Marzec, Jennifer Meyer, Laurie Schmidlin, and Lynda Benden.

A couple notes about the card: The chipboard word "wish" came from my stash. It's not marked in any way, so I have no idea who the manufacturer is. It came in the natural chipboard color, so I first painted it white, then smooshed Old Olive craft ink onto it (a couple of coats), then painted it with Crystal Effecs for a nice lacquered look. While the CE was still wet, I sprinkled some Dazzling Diamonds onto the star only. The chipboard number 8 is from Cherry Arte. It came white already, so I didn't have to do anything to it except string it to the hemp. The balloons and a portion of the sentiment all come from Stampin' Up's Big Bold Birthday. I trimmed out the balloons, coated them with crystal effects, and tied some white embroidery floss onto them. The dry embossing is done with the Swiss Dots cuttlebug folder, and the designer papers are from Basic Grey's Cupcake collection.

Hope you have a truly fabulous weekend. Please say a quick prayer for safe travel back home for us today - thanks!



Stamps: Big Bold Birthday (SU!)
Paper: Whisper White, Brocade Blue, Real Red, Old Olive (SU!); Cupcake collection (Basic Grey)
Ink: Real Red, Brocade Blue, Old Olive classic, and Old Olive craft (SU!)
Accessories: white acrylic paint, crystal efects, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, 3/4" circle punch, 1 1/4" circle punch, large star punch, Swiss Dots cuttlebug folder, white embroidery floss, natural hemp, Real Red eyelets, spiral punch, silver brads, paper piercer, corner rounder

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Your card is simply AWESOME! Happy Birthday to him! And don't waste your energy worrying about the big 4-0. Honestly, it's just a number! :-)

pescbrico said...

I really LOVE your card! :) It's very cheerfull and beautiful! :)
Have a wonderful day!

Cindy Haffner said...

40 is young my dear, try 50! Really enjoy your 40's, life just gets better and better, honest.

Love your card, awesome.

Denise Marzec said...

OMWord, Amy, seriously I'm lovin' this! I know you said you're still trying to let it grow on you, but WOW...lovvvvvve it! It's so FUN and there are so many cool elements to look at. Caught my eye RIGHT away!

..and seriously, you're turning 40?...you don't look it!

Judy Rozema said...

Wow!!! This is an amazing card -- I just love it and all the things to llok at. I really like how you did the "8" attachment -- just awesome, Amy!! Happy Birthday to your oldest! It does go fast - my oldest will be 20 this year. EEK!

Anonymous said...

Aw, just go ahead and stay there one more week!! Or are you ready to come home? We used to go for 2 weeks and I was ready to come home..missed my house and the routine!!

The card is really cool!!!

Dawn Easton said...

Holy cow girl...this card totally ROCKS and I wish it was MY 8th birthday....haha!

All of the details are perfect...perfect I tell you!

Have a safe trip home and we can't wait to hear all about it!

Angel said...

OOOOH! I LOVE your bday card for your son! YEs, they do grow up TOOO fast. And I am right behind you on the 40 so you'll have to give me advice on how to handle it. I am not looking forward to it either. I've told everyone that I am not celebrating my bday this year. :-)

jjcreations said...

Fun, fun, fun!!!!!

Janette said...

this card is fabulous in every way!! love all the details on it and hope your son will appreciate what a masterpiece it is LOL. BTW- I seriously would never guess in a million years you were going to be 40. Not to butter you up or anything but my guess was 34 or so.

Karen Giron said...

This is sooo much fun, Amy! I love how it turned out and just how long did it take you to make? Ha! You are so creative - love how the 8 is attached, so fun.

Silke Ledlow said...

Fantastic card - Amy!!!

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely fabulous!!! I love everything you have going on. You've blown me away !!!

Jackie Pedro said...

This is a WOW card...so much going on but all works perfectly together! Your son will love it!!

Renée said...

Total WOW card!! My oldest son turns 8 in August too, how neat is that!! although I'm not nearing 40, just 30 ... :) But, anyways, totally fab card, love it and all the details. I'm sure he'll love it too!!

Tami said...

Ok, let's not hurt renee for the "not nearing 40, just 30" comment. Let's remember scrappers are a peaceful people! Ha! (Just kidding renee! Hee! :)

Amy, I felt the very same way you do about turning . . . the "f" word. In fact that is what I called it, I couldn't even say "40" for the longest time! I then told my friends that every time they said it they had to put a dollar in a jar! Of course that made them say it more! Anyway, long story short, during my adult surprise 40th birthday party last year, with all of my family and friends present, I did a split on the dance floor, a toe touch on our trampoline thus proving that I am still young and can do all the things that I always have been able to. Seriously though, it is all relative . . . and the saying "you are only as young as you feel" . . . it IS really true! You look beautiful and young and if you feel it inside too . . . you will ALWAYS be!

Love this card . . . it is really nice . . . love the clustering of objects . . . not cluttered at all . . . collected instead. The balloons and the 8 are my favorites! Love it!

DoxieGirl said...

I know what you mean about a lot of stuff on a card. Not normally my style. But, can I just say, this is fantabulous! I *LOVE* it! I love it all - the chipboard 8 with the twine... the balloons... the wish chipboard. See, I told you I loved it! :)

Regan said...

OMG I love this card- awesome!!!!

June Houck said...

I really really really LOVE this card! It is so fun and happy. Cole is sure to love it too. It is awesome :)

Lynda Benden said...

I think your card is awesome! I LOVE all of the "stuff" on it and the layout is wonderful!

Hope you all had a great vacation and a safe trip home!!!

Jennifer Love said...

Oh I love this so much! It is so fun and all those parts! Whew! Great card. :)

Doris said...

My firstborn is 38--YOW! Time flies when you're raising kids. Glad this card gets to stay in the family--it's absolutely stunning!

Patti Gingrich said...

You're in good company Amy. I hit 40 just last month and it is a big turning point. As I took a look back though, I couldn't help but be mindful of the many blessings in my life. And there are so many more to look forward to! :)

Your card is fantastic! All the "stuff" really works! It all compliments each other which makes it a really fun card. Your son will love it! Take care~ Patti

Amy said...

AWESOME card Amy! I love everything about it!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Your card is too cute Amy, LOVE all the fun colors and darling detail.

Have fun on your trip and have a safe trip back.

Hugs, Jennifer :)

Anonymous said...

i am so absolutely in love with this card!! you continue to make my jaw drop daily!!! hugs to you! jd

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is so cool, so fun and colorful, what 8 year old wouldn't just LOVE this!!! I know what you mean about them growing up way too fast, mine is 18 and going off to college in a month...YIKES!!!!

Shelly said...

Another cool card, love "all the trimmings"! This will be a big hit!

marcyh said...

LOVE IT! Pefect for an 8 year old boy in my opinion. They always have a ton of things going on, don't they?

I'll be right behind you in the 40 camp...age is only a number! (she says after a morning of studying all the gray hair that needs to be covered)

Jessie/knightrone said...

This card is just tooo cute Amy!! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

That card is FABULOUS! I love how the chipboard '8' is hanging! And the shiny balloons!

Cindy

Marge said...

I just LOVE your card & I feel I don't put enough layers! It's so "boy", which I love & is usually harder to do than girly & I just thinks it's totally awesome!