Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Lord's Prayer



When I was little, my twin sister and I each had matching little plaques that hung over our matching little twin beds. They had the prayer "Now I lay me down to sleep ..." on them. When I received this Lord's Prayer stamp from Kelley at Our Daily Bread Designs, the first thing I thought was to make each of my children some type of wall decor to hang over their beds. I like this prayer better, too, because you know how that other one ends ... "If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to keep." Maybe it's just me, but I think that "if I die before I wake" part is kind of scary for little kids to be thinking about right before bed! I don't have a suitable frame for this yet, so for now I've mounted the prayer on a card base. A couple of details that are hard to see: The bottom part of the background panel (below the ribbon) is stamped in white ink with Stampin' Up's Stitched background; and the Elegant Eggplant mat behind the prayer is scored on both diagonals to create a lattice pattern.

This stamp, as well as two new sets, will be available from Our Daily Bread Designs on July 15. I can't wait to show you the other two sets!

(Note: The flowers with the dew drop centers are too bulky to go under the glass in a traditional frame, so I'll either frame it in a shadow box or I'll take the flowers off and put them on the outside of the glass, as well as add a few to embellish the frame itself, too. Another option is to mount it as-is onto a wooden plaque.)

Have a great day!



Stamps: Lord's Prayer (Our Daily Bread Designs, available 7/15), Linen (SU! retired), Stitched (SU!)
Paper: Whisper White, Perfect Plum, Elegant Eggplant
Ink: Elegant Eggplant, Perfect Plum, Pale Plum, White craft
Accessories: Prima flowers, Dew Drops, wide Celery grosgrain (SU!); white gel pen, cornerr ounder, sewing machine and thread, stamping sponges
Size: 5 3/4" square (will fit in a 6x6 envie)

18 comments:

Bastelfrosch's Kreativseite said...

This card is wonderful!!! A fantastic dream!
LG Annett

Denise Marzec said...

Wow, Amy, it's always so fun hopping over here and seeing your latest project. This is breathtaking!! Love all that stitching and the pretty colors. You ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Yes, she is a rockin' and a rollin'...lol!!

Love the eggplant and plum. (like the stamp too!)

Pam Varnell said...

Beautiful Amy. I just love it. What a great tradition to start for your children too.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely beautiful! It's breathtaking!

Gunilla/Nilla said...

This is a FANTASTIC card!! Beautiful colours and the stiching is a great detail. Is it hard to make?
Have a great day
/Gunilla

Diane Gilbert said...

Amy this is GORGEOUS! LOVE it!

Missy said...

You are so right, I love everything about this. What a great idea to mount on the wall near the child's bed. I might have to do the same for my boys. Thanks for the great design and ideas.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Amy, your design is stunning and I LOVE the NEW stamp.

Thanks for sharing a little piece of your childhood with us.

Jennifer :)

Stampin_Melissa said...

Amy, first, what a beautiful card! Secondly, what a wonderful idea to make a wall hanging! Since children like to talk about what is hanging in their room it is a great opportunity to talk to them about different elements of the Lords Prayer.

Jackie Pedro said...

Beautiful card! I love the elegant eggplant...makes it look so elegant!

Jennifer Love said...

That is so gorgeous! The paper and color combos are YUMMY!

Annapurna said...

Lovely card Amy. Wow with all that stitching.

Love the butterfly row card below too. Thanks for stopping by.

Cindy Haffner said...

Beautiful Amy.

Anonymous said...

hi amy - this is darling and i think it is a perfect prayer to frame and hang in a child's room! i have framed bulky things before and i just remove the glass... i think it looks great and you don't have to alter your project OR buy a shadow box (the selection is always so limited...)
erin mcmilon :o)

Laura Williams said...

WOW. this is stunning. you might have just sold me on these stamps, based only on this one card!! :) Thanks!!!

Conniecrafter said...

Just Beautiful, the stitching is so pretty and adds alot, I agree with you when I was younger and said that prayer it was a little scary to me too!

Anonymous said...

Your card is gorgeous. TFS. I know your children will enjoy it in their rooms.
scrappingnana4@yahoo.com (JoAnn B.)