Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday Challenges



I'm one of those nutters who usually waits until the last minute to start making my Christmas cards. One year, I *started* on December 23. Long story, but I was busy with a 2-month-old baby, so I decided not to send cards at all, then realized I had to send cards because family and friends would be wanting a picure, then decided if I was going to send cards, they had to be handmade ... sigh ... I did finish them in only two days, but they still went out the day after Christmas. So this week's "Christmas in July" challenge over at Our Creative Corner was a really good one for me! Head over there for all the details and to link up your creation when you're ready. You can also see all my teammates' samples there: Cindy Haffner, Dawn Easton, Denise Marzec, Jennifer Meyer, Laurie Schmidlin, and Lynda Benden.

I'm really falling for some of the cute, little Penny Black animals, so when I saw the adorable 12 Days of Christmas set, I had to have it. And right there to help get one into my ink-stained little hands was none other than Michelle at Stamper's Dream. What a doll!! And such great customer service, too -- a rare treat these days.

This set has twelve images, one to go with each of the twelve days of Christmas. They are all just TOO cute. The 4 calling birds is a chicky making a call on a cell phone. The three French hens is a chick holding a wine glass in one hand and a baguette in the other. So fun!! When I went to color today's "partridge in a pear tree" image, I was a little stumped by the top of this chick's head. What are those funny things sticking out? Do you think she's sitting there doing her needlepoint with curlers in her hair? That's what I went with, so someone please tell me if you think they're supposed to be something else, LOL!

By the way, I went looking on the Penny Black site to see if I could find a colored sample for this image, hoping to figure out what's on top of her head. Bad idea!!! They didn't have the colored sample I was looking for, but oh, the stuff I did find! They have some really GREAT stuff in their Christmas 2008 catalog. And such variety, everything from cutesy to elegant, silhouette stamps to line art, whimsical to solemn. By the way, I'm not affiliated in any way ... just telling you what I saw.

One more thing, this card uses Julee's Mojo Monday #38 sketch. I just loved looking back through all her sketches to make yesterday's birthday card. Did you know she has a .PDF file with all of her sketches all in one place? Check it out on the right sidebar of her blog, Poetic Artistry.

Today is Saturday, which means it's also time for a new Sketch for You to Try. I'll say up front that I'm not happy with my card today. I'm sorry to disappoint with this one!! I spent FOREVAH working on this, certain that at some point the magic would happen. No such luck. But here it is anyway:



Check out i{heart}2stamp to see Jen's sketch, Jen's sample, and guest designer Jessie Rone's sample. As usual, Amy, Carole, and Susan are playing. Shannan said she might be late with her sample. Also, Jen's sketch is being featured on the Sisterhood of Scrap blog. Check it out!

Oh, and the cool color combo was one of the SCS Color Challenges a couple weeks ago. Isn't it neat?

Have a fantastic weekend!



Partridge in a Pear Tree:
Stamps: 12 Days of Christmas (Penny Black)
Paper: Cranberry Crisp (SU!); watercolor paper (Canson)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); various reinkers for coloring (SU!); Cranberry Crisp, Always Artichoke, So Saffron, and More Mustard (for sponging)
Accessories: Large oval punch, crystal effects, foam tape, Cranberry Crisp stitched ribbon (SU!); Snowflakes Cuttlebug embossing folder (Provo Craft)

Welcome, Little One:
Stamps: Nursery Necessities
Paper: So Saffron, Wild Wasabi, Almost Amethyst, Amethyst Prints dp
Ink: So Saffron, Wild Wasabi
Accessories: double-stitched Wild Wasabi ribbon, classic and scalloped square Nestabilities, dimensionals, white embroidery floss, small star punch, sewing machine, paper piercer, corner rounder

21 comments:

Mauna said...

Great cards! I like what you did for Jen's sketch. Great color combo and stamp choices!

Anonymous said...

I think both cards turned out really cute. I just did the same thing on Taylor's sketch. Kept thinking something will make me like this card and when I got to the end I had to just throw in the towel. I hate cards like that!!!

Mimi Hornberger said...

Love the Christmas card! I am a huge Penny Black fan! Your other card is fabulous too! TFS! XO, Mimi

Lynda Benden said...

Both cards are awesome Amy! I am so glad you are starting early on your Christmas cards!!! LOL!!!

Dawn Easton said...

I think both cards are fabulous Amy!! Thanks for the link to all that Penny Black stuff ;) I'm going to look for more while on holidays in a couple of weeks. Penny Black are hard to find here...lol

Have a FAB Saturday!

Amy Rohl said...

Hi Amy!

I think your sketch card is just darling, and I love the stitches and scallops! I had a hard time with the sketch this week too...hmmm..must be something with the Amy's?!

Hugs!

Deanne Clarke said...

I love your card!!!!! It's beautiful!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Hi Amy... Both cards are adorable! LOVE the fun image on your first card & story, HEHE :) The second card is FABULOUS, LOVE the great layout and gorgeous colors.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Jennifer :)

Angel said...

Too funny... I posted a card using this color challenge on my blog today as well! I loved it. And your cards are both very pretty! You make me want to learn how to sew!
Have a great weekend, friend!

Jessie/knightrone said...

Amy, I think both of your cards are fantastic!!

Unknown said...

You're cards are stunning! Love them! I'm going to go check out that 12 days of Christmas set, is that ever cute!

Anonymous said...

GIRL...YOU ROCK!!! Both of these are stunning...as usual! :) Hugs-Jd

Renée said...

you're too hard on yourself, these both rock!
I can't say I'm a procrastinator ... quite the opposite. I think I already have half my Christmas cards done (my hubby's a pastor so I make at least 150 cards ... can't do that in two days!).

Denise Marzec said...

I hear ya....love those Penny Black animals. They're just adorable...and I think you've now enabled me to go look for 12 Days of Christmas. Love your card, Amy!! SUPER!

Doris said...

My first Christmas card (of 100) is up on my blog--check it out when you get a chance! I usually start mine July 1st, but the SU catty isn't going to be out til Aug. 11. In the meantime, I'm using others from my stash. At the rate of 10 a week, I should be ready to mail them out Dec. 1st, as usual.

Cindy Haffner said...

Love your cards girl, I love everything you do.

Anonymous said...

I love both of the cards. The baby colors are great. I guess I will have to revisit my Penny Black stamps:)

Anonymous said...

Wow...love your cards...they are really creative and beautiful. Glad I followed a lead to your site..it's now bookmarked!

Thanks for sharing.

Julia Aston said...

I just love your partridge in a pear tree card - what a fun stamp set! - I NEED to start making Christmas cards!!! I keep saying it and doing nothing!

and your 2nd card is just adorable with the great colors and hanging stars!

Debbie said...

Beautiful cards Amy...simply stunning.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! Love the hanging stars!