Monday, February 11, 2008

Turquoise Birthday



I am SO not a fan of the Bold Brights! However, turquoise is "hot," right? (Please tell me this will appeal to someone!)

Once again, I recycled an old card here. The original (wish I'd taken a before picture ... hey, I should do a regular "card makeover" feature here on this blog, that would be fun!) had the random circle stamped strip with some ribbon tied around it and a "hello" sentiment in the bottom corner. Very basic.

To update it, I shortened and repositioned the original strip, then started adding layers and various elements. I also cuttlebugged the background with that new Swiss Dot folder (again).

To get the rounded end on the sentiment strip, I cut a 3/8" strip, stamped the greeting on it, then threaded just one end through the opening in the word window punch. This little tip for lengthening a punched shape circulated a few years ago. I haven't seen instructions lately, so here's a picture that shows exactly what I did. You can do this with a lot of punches (key tag, tag, word window, etc.).

Stamps: Simply Circles, Simple Sayings II (both retired), and Seeing Spots (current SU!)
Paper: Tempting Turquoise, Whisper White
Ink: Tempting Turquoise
Accessories: pretties kit, word window punch, dimensionals, "swiss dots" cuttlebug embossing folder

13 comments:

Tee said...

Oh don't you worry...turquoise is my favorite color...it's bright and that's what I love about it..add just a teeny tiny black border and the whole color pops..
I love this card !!

Peggy Maier said...

Guess what - turquoise is my favorite color too! (and I don't like many bold, bright colors) Especially love the dotted background!

Sarah Green said...

you are Excellent!!!
come here and get your award!!!!!

http://sarah331980.blogspot.com/2008/02/look-at-what-i-got-and-now-i-will-give.html

Alhambra Club said...

This is fantastic, love the emobssed background and that color, love it my family room is that color, a much deeper tone, but that color.

Shannon Tompkins said...

I love tempting turquoise. It and real red and my favorite bold brights.

Carolyn King said...

Love this turquoise beauty! fun flower and I love the ww punch idea...I saw it a while ago too but it is nice to be reminded...i always forget to do that!

Silke Ledlow said...

Amy - your card is great!!! I can't wait to get my new CB template...

I also nominated you for an "Excellent" Award!!!
Pls come over and check out my blog for details!!!

Marilyn said...

I'm lovin the swiss dot embossing folder!! What a great card - again! Love the color combo too - amazing!!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Great card Amy, I see you are using the NEW CB embossing folders. LOVE your card, its so bright and fun. Thanks for sharing with all of us, Jennifer :)

Margaret Kane Ward said...

Great card; love the color. Especially the tip about rounding the paper strip

Kathy W said...

Another fan that loves this card. Tempting turquoise is one of my favorite colors all year round. Great card, the big flower and the CB polka dots are wonderful. Thanks for the reminder and picture of using the word window punch. I wondered how people did this.

Maren said...

Love that polka dot textured background! So pretty!

Susie said...

Amy - I've nominated you for the "E for Excellence" award. http://berkerblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/reflecting.html
Love your card. I'll be getting that Cuttlebug folder this week. Love how it looks.