Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Tale of Two Challenges

There are many things I'm not good at, but handwriting is not one of them. I've been a geek about "pretty" handwriting since elementary school, when the dots of my "i"s were either big circles or flowers (lol!). So this week's Limited Supplies Challenge on Splitcoast, which was to use handwriting on the front of your card, was perfect for me! Except for that "limited" part. My design took on a life of its own and as a result, I can't find a single limited thing about it. So I traded the handwriting for a stamped sentiment and bailed on the challenge altogether.



Stamps: A Little Birdie Told Me
Paper: Ruby Red, Basic Black, Ginger Blossom dp, Groovy Guava, stamper's select white card stock by Papertrey Ink
Ink: Jet Black Staz-On, Ruby Red
Accessories: black ribbon (source unknown); sewing machine, dimensionals, corner rounder, 1/4" circle punch, vintage brads, distressing tool, sponge daubers
Supplies by Stampin' Up except where noted.


I was much more successful with Sharon Johnson's (No Time To Stamp) Stamp Simply Challenge #23, which is to use flourishes on your project. I made this card last weekend, but haven't posted it yet because I keep looking at it wondering if it needs something. I think I'm ready to call it done and move on :)



Here's a great tip I got from someone's blog (by the way, for the life of me, I can't remember where I read this, so if it was on your blog, please speak up): when making cards with white as the base, use Papertrey Ink's 110-pound Stamper's Select cardstock. It is thick and heavy enough to load up with embellishments without the card buckling under the weight. It's also works well with Stampin' Up markers (no streaking) and limited watercoloring (for extensive watercoloring, I still reach for 140-lb, cold press watercolor paper).

Stamps: Kind Thoughts
Paper: Stamper's Select White cardstock by Papertrey Ink, Chcolate Chip (SU)
Ink: Chocolate Chip, White craft
Accessories: styled silver hodgepodge hardware (coming March 1); brown satin ribbon, dimensionals, Heidi Swapp jewels, corner rounder for scalloped bottom
Supplies by Stampin' Up except where noted.

9 comments:

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Love this card - you did a fabulous job!! And I couldn't agree more about the PTI White -- wonderful paper!!! I am so glad you uploaded this to my challenge-- thank you so much -- it is GORGEOUS!!!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Oops, forgot to comment on your little birdie card -- thought it was in a different post -- I LOVE it -- those birds are just the cutest, love your layout and that is probably my most favorite of the new papers -- great job!!!

pescbrico said...

Both of your cards are great! I'm not sure I would ever be able to do a limited supply challenge :) Have a wonderful weekend.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Both cards are just stunning Amy! LOVE the beautiful stitching on the first card with all of the pretty different paper. The second card is just gorgeous, LOVE all the pretty ribbon and flourishes along with the pretty butterfly! I don't have this set yet, but I just might have to order it now! :)

Have a wonderful weekend, Jennifer :)

Unknown said...

I love both cards! And I have to tell you that I have bailed on challenges before for the same reasons. Sometimes they take on a life of their own!

Great job!

Me, My Stamps and I said...

both beautiful creations, amy!!!
i love the 2 birds together and that kind thought design -just darling.
tfs,
chat

Stephanie Hargis said...

I love both of these cards! Using my handwriting on my cards scares the tar out of me too! There is a reason why I buy stamps! :D Anyway, great color choices on both of these cards! I love the paper piecing that you did on the first card and I love the scalloped edge that you did on the second! Wonderful job!

Amy said...

I love the look of your cards Amy! I have enjoyed being a subscriber to your blog! The first card is darling with the little birds. On the other one I think it is simply beautiful! Thank you for your inspiration!

Anonymous said...

These are both beautiful!