Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Quickie Color Challenge



Sweet! I finally got to stamp for fun last night! The color combo comes from this week's Color Challenge on SCS -- Wild Wasabi, Elegant Eggplant, and So Saffron.

I needed to keep it quick, so I pulled out Sweet Shapes for its simple, but fun images. I also kept the stamping to a minimum. For no particular reason, the card is an unusual size -- a diminutive 4 3/4" x 3 5/8." I didn't set out with that size in mind. It just happened that my elements looked a little better on a sligthly smaller canvas.

On a different note, does anyone have a paper cutter they absolutely love? I feel like I've been around the world looking for just the right cutter. I want something ACCURATE (of course), something with measurements marked at least to 1/8" inch increments, even better if it's to 1/16" inch increments, and something a full 12" x 12" (i.e. no portable things with swing-out arms). It needs to be safe and it needs to be heavy-duty. I'd like to cut through at least 3-5 sheets of 80-pound card stock at a time (with only one pass). It needs to handle a full-size sheet of card stock and a tiny 1" x 1" piece with equal aplomb. Is there such a one-stop cutter?

My favorite Fiskars desktop rotary cutter has always left a few things to be desired. I tried the Carl rotary cutter a few years ago, and maybe I just got a bad one, but I can make a straigter cut blindfolded and drunk. And my most recent acquisition, a heavy-duty Martin-Yale guillotine-style cutter (which just arrived a few days ago), isn't working out either, for various reasons. Sue, if you're reading this, ya want it? (You mentioned wanting to replace yours.)

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Sweet Shapes
Ink: Wild Wasabi, So Saffron, Elegant Eggplant, VersaMark
Paper: Wild Wasabi textured, Elegent Eggplant, Whisper White
Accessories: silver brads, paper piercer, Wild Wasabi double-stitched ribbon, dimensionals, white embossing powder

9 comments:

Kay Kalthoff said...

A very beautiful card! TFS!

About the paper cutters - I, too, looked high and low and find found that the Tonic 12x12 cutter suits me the best. It has all the markings that you desire and it makes cutting cardstock for workshops a breeze - I often go three sheets at a time.
But, when I want to be very precise and I am using a 1/2 sheet of paper or less, I purchased an orange Fiskers. It's a gillotine style cutter, but it is small - like a personal trimmer. I use both of them and feel like I am finally satisfied with my cutters.

Anonymous said...

I've been doing "research" on cutters as my cutter just isn't "cutting" it anymore (Fiskars rotary also). It looks like the Tonic Paper Cutter is the "best" or "most well-likee" out there. I did some searching and found it for $37. dollars with free shipping. I went through Amazon sells and found it at Office Max or Staples (can't recall). I have to wait till my birthday in January to buy mine.

Merry Christmas!

Shawn K.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I know exactely what you mean....a "not quite perfect" paper trimmer is the only downside I can find to card-making! I've heard good things about the Purple Cow trimmer, but it's a little too $$ for me...Let us know if you EVER find one that's just GREAT! :)

Tracy said...

very cute card - i like those color together.
and no good advice on paper trimmers. i have a friend who has i believe its a Dahle? she seems to love that

Tracy said...

oh... maybe its a Genesis... yeah i think its genesis...
http://www.genesistrimmer.com/faq.html

Bonnie said...

Oh yea, nothing worse than a lop-sided card, even after you trimmed it 7 times!! geez! Can't recommend anything but hopefully I will find out something on your blog......Cute little card by-the-who!

Tanja said...

Love the card! Good job combining those colors!

Diane said...

Love your card...the color combo is
awesome!!!

AJ said...

oooh, I just love how these fabulous colors makes this set fun and new again!! Great card!!