Thursday, September 10, 2009

Shabby Chic Wall Decor



I remember a year or so ago when My Favorite Things first introduced Annie LaPoint as a new illustrator. I absolutely fell in love with the potted herbs and the flowers in the bathtubs. I adore her style, and am so glad to see some new things coming out now and in the near future! In July, MFT released Spread a Harvest of Hope. This month, Seeds of Love was released, which includes a darling pansy seed packet image and the title sentiment "Sow Seeds of Love." Once again, total home runs in my book!

For today's project, I cut the pair of pansies from the seed packet and used them on their own to make a piece of wall art. Coloring is with Copic markers, and the image is paper toled (flowers and one leaf are popped up) and glittered. I gave the image a shabby chic setting, using random bits and pieces of lovely textured things ... an embossed chipboard frame from Tattered Angels, a small piece of a page from an old book, some corrugated cardboard, a bit of fabric, and a length of wonderful trim. Heavy distressing, stitching, and buttons finish off the look.

The scalloped square base is chipboard from the Michael's $1 aisle. It came in a pack of five and measures around 6" square. I could hang or display the piece as-is, but I'd love to find a shadow box frame to hold it. That way I don't have to worry about dust.

For the chipboard base, I first painted it with ivory acrylic paint, then sanded away the edges just a bit, sponged on some different distress inks (Frayed Burlap and Brushed Corduroy), and last coated it with Ranger's crackle medium. Here's a detail shot of that:



And this next shot will give you a better look at the dimension from the paper tole, cardboard, and all the foam adhesive:



One last detail shot:



Thanks for visiting!



Stamps: Sow Seeds of Love (My Favorite Things)
Paper: MFT Perfect Paper Panels, Papertrey Vintage Cream card stock, Melissa Frances dp
Ink: Ranger Antique Linen, Old Paper, Frayed Burlap, Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessoires: copic markers, Sakura Quickie glue pen, clear glitter, Tattered Angels Framed Fonts Glimmer Chips, Papertrey Vintage buttons, twill, trim, cardboard, page from old book, fabric, May Arts burlap string, foam adhesive, dimsional glue dots, ivory acrylic pain, sanding block
Finished Size: approximately 6" square

32 comments:

Mimi H. said...

I love the shabby look to this card. All the elements are perfectly distressed. Such a beautiful card.

Broni said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Amy! I love the shabby vintage look that you so perfectly captured!

Eva said...

Amy, this is goooorgeous...I have been a lurker, but I am coming out and telling you I LOVE every single thing you create! You totally inspire me in every possible way!!!!! Thank you for creating the most gorgeous cards!!!!! Hugs, Eva

Chris said...

Breathtaking...I love looking at each detail and the blue of the flowers pops against all that ivory.

ellepaulette said...

I am blown away by how beautiful this is.
Everything you make is wonderful but this one just takes the cake. It is my dream to create something this lovely one day.

Paula Barin said...

Gorgeous!!!

Megan said...

Just stunning! I live he crackle paint effect, it makes it rustic shabby. Too perfect, Amy!

Joy said...

WOW!!!! This is absolutely gorgeous! I love it!

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Love every detail!

Kerry Johnson said...

Wow Amy!! This is so stunning!! Love the shabby look. Can I just crawl inside your brain for a while?

Christi Flores said...

I am in LOVE!! I love everything about this!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

OMG - Amy - this is fabulous!!! Love your shabby chic card!!! Hugs ~S~

Stampin_melissa said...

Oh Amy you ROCK! This is just breathtakingly gorgeous!

Amy Rohl said...

Wow, wow, wow, Sheffer--this is drop dead gorgeous-ness; just shakin' my head at how beautiful this is! Bravo.

dpkennedy said...

This is just fabulous! Those pansy's jump right off the page! I love the vintage feel with those embellishments and the distressing! Absolutely gorgeous!

Mari said...

This is so rich and elegant! I love the colors - those flowers really pop! Love it!

ChristineCreations said...

Oh this is stunning Amy! Your vintage details and layering are just beautiful craftsmanship! A showpiece for sure!

A Walk With Faith said...

Amy, this is absolutely one of the most gorgeous cards I have ever seen. I love everything about it. You are one very gifted lady.
Blessings,
Faith

Jessie/knightrone said...

This is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen Amy!! Wow!!

Dawn Easton said...

Absolutely amazing, Amy! Gorgeous work of art!!

Kathy Jones said...

***THUD*** Holy Moly Amy - this is just devine!!! Love the vintage feel of this card, gorgeous colours and the centre really is amazing!!! Another fabulous creation!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, you are truly, truly amazing. I'm speechless after seeing this amazing creation! Words just escape me!
--Hugs Becca

Unknown said...

Just when I don't think you can top your cards, you come up with THIS!!
It's absolutely gorgeous Amy!!
Viv x

Angella D. Crockett said...

Omigosh, Amy! This is incredible!!!! Every single square inch is perfection!!!

Happy Birthday to you today, BTW!!! Hope your day is totally blessed!!! :)

Denise Marzec said...

Oh WOW!!! I love Annie LaPoint images too, and this is just FANTASTIC! That bold blue just jumps off the screen against all that vintage cream. Gorgeous work!!

Jerri Kay said...

So beautiful Amy, this design is absolutely stunning! Love all the design elements, gorgeous papers, beautiful trim, stunning!

Jackie Pedro said...

I am speechless....seriously speechless!!!

Desire Fourie said...

Gorgeous, love how the colourful flowers pop against the earthy background. Have a super duper weekend.
Hugs
Desire

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow!!! so AWESOME, wonderful in every way!

Janelle Stollfus said...

I think I could stare at this for a whole day and not enjoy it enough. Beautiful work!

Marimer said...

Masravilloso trabajo, Amy, este estilo vintage me encanta y tu lo haces de cine.
Amy, si no te importa me gustaria ponerte en la portada de mi blog, si hay algun problema me lo dices y lo quito, no quiero perderme ningun trabajo por no verlo cuando lo publicas. Gracias.

Danielle said...

Absolutely beautiful! Your creations are always amazing! I love this!