Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What's Up Wednesday - Embossed Moon



Hello, and Happy Wednesday! My kids are on Spring Break this week, so I thought I'd take a mini-break with them. Sorry to be MIA!

Today, I'm hosting a fun How'd They Do That tutorial and What's Up Wednesday Challenge in the My Favorite Things forum. Both the tutorial and the challenge have to do with heat embossing your dry embossing, which is how I did the moon on today's card. Hope you'll stop by and play along!

I've used the astronaut image from Ben Paper Dolls to create a preschool graduation card that my daughter can give her classmates at the end of the school year. She's been going to preschool with many of the same kids for three years now, but they'll all split up in the fall as they start kindergarten at different area schools. I think I have 15 or 16 more of these to make - yikes! I'm actually thinking of doing a girlie version with a pink spacesuit - what do you think? The navy background is spritzed with Silver Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels, and the stars are painted with Golden Wheat Shimmerz paint. The sentiment is done with the Brayton font and a JustRite Stamper.

I also wanted to let you know about my Copic certification class on Sunday. Sally Lynn did an awesome job with the class. She even corrected some certi-"fictions" ... for instance, my markers will not choose themselves and blend themselves just because I'm now certified. Darn! Even so, I had a great time and learned a lot. I saw some familiar faces and made some new friends, too, so that's always fun.

Have a great day, and, as always, thank you so much for stopping by and for the kind comments you leave! I appreciate each one of you!



Stamps: Ben Paper Dolls (My Favorite Things), Brayton Font (JustRite Stampers)
Paper: Papertrey White, Bazzill Navy, SU Basic Black, Going Gray, Basic Gray, So Saffron
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, Versamark
Accessories: clear ep, Cuttlebug folders, circle nesties, copics, shimmerz, glimmer mist, dimensionals, white gel pen, SU ribbon, hardware, and star punches
Size: 5 1/4" square

43 comments:

Jill said...

This is genius!! I love the embossed moon. I may have to copy this idea sometime. Seriously, adorable.

Unknown said...

Pink spacesuits? Oh yeah!

Danielle said...

What a FUN card Amy! I just love the embossed moon - very creative - and I love the idea of pink spacesuits for the girls!! :) May have to 'case' this moon and card too!!
Hope you're enjoying Spring Break!
Hugs, Danielle

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Again, adorable. I love these little guys...can't buy, can't buy. :)

Kerry Johnson said...

Amy this is absolutely adorable!! Awesome tutorial too! I think a girl version would be fabulous in pink! Good luck with all of those!!

Andrea said...

So adorably cute! I also absolutely love the idea of a "pink" version for the girls! I will have to try this technique sometime and your are making me want the Just-rite stampers...to be able to create your own sentiments is awesome! Where did you get yours?

Jenn said...

Fantastic card Amy! Love the embossed moon and all it's sparkley goodness! :D

Michelle Tech said...

Wow, I LOVE that moon! Great card!

Anonymous said...

What a cute card! I can't wait to try it! As always, your cards are such an inspiration. TFS!

Melisa Hunter

Tiffany said...

This is adorable! My little one is starting pre-school in the fall. I can hardly believe it . . . sniff, sniff. Cute card!!!

Have a wonderful day!

Kimberly Crawford said...

FABULOUS! That moon is AMAZING! the dry embossing is cool, but when you added the wet embossing-WOWEE!!!!! Can you share some of that creativity please?!?! :)

Randee E said...

This is the most adorable thing EVER!! I'm a mom to 3 boys (one heading off to Kindergarten in the fall) so this card REALLY pulls at my heartstrings. I think I'm going to have to order EVERYTHING to make this card :0) Thanks for sharing your creative genius with us!

Anonymous said...

Jill up there said "this is genius" and I just have to agree!!! As soon as the page popped up I was just like, whooooa!! (I was with a student at the moment so I wonder what they thought of my whoooa face! HAHAHA!)

I will definitely have to try this out with my spaceship stamp that has been neglected because I had no idea what to do with it! I LOVE the card, Amy!

Thi P. said...

OMG, your card is truly, truly adorable. Wow!!!

Kathy Jones said...

WOW Amy, this is amazing!!! Love the way you did the moon and blinged it all!!! Pink Spacesuits - ABSOLUTELY!!!! :) Congrats on the copic course - sounds amazing!!

Kellie Fortin said...

Amy -Your card is Dynamite!! Love how you personalized it with your JustRite Font!! I love all the details...just gorgeous!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Amy!!! This is an incredible preschool graduation card!! The kids will love it!! I love your moon!! You are very ambitious!! Wish I could have gone to that copics class with you!!

Kim said...

This is ingenious, Amy! You are so creative! Is that the Spots and Dots folder you used for the moon?

Kim said...

Oh, forgot to say that I think pink spacesuits for the girls would be great!

Bellawhoop said...

Absolutely brilliant! LOVE it! You are incredibly talented and I look forward each and every day to see what you've created!

Emily said...

Oh Amy, this is just way tooo cute! I wish I could see it in person because I don't think the photo shows all the shimmer on this card. Love your idea of a pink spacesuit too. Good luck with the mass production! I'm sure you can whip these up in no time though.

Caryl P said...

I have this embossing folder and sometimes I can't figure out what to combine it with. A moon, how cool!

Betty Wright said...

Amy, this is just terrific!!! Love the create textures and moon look!!!! Great work, girl!!!!

Jane Wetzel said...

totally adorable card Amy! The kids and "moms" will love it too! I take a copic class next month here by the same lady I think..I am excited! :)

Dawn Easton said...

Amy, I hope you are enjoying the week off with the kids!!!

Love this card...it's adorable and I think it would be great with a pink spacesuit for the girls! They will squeal with delight!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Girl this rocks.

Samantha said...

I just wanted say hi and tell you how much I love your blog. Your cards are so beautiful!

dpkennedy said...

Oh my gosh! This is so cute! That embossed moon is awesome!

Jessie/knightrone said...

This is totally cute Amy!!

Paula Barin said...

What a great little boy card. I love the way you embossed the 'moon'.

Gretchen said...

I never thought of that! Cool technique. That card is cute too!

Riet said...

wowww Amy,what a beautiful card,l love the image.

hugs Riet.x

AlienAnessa said...

Oh Amy, if this isn't the definition of adorable, then I seriously don't know what is!! Superb job!!

Linda E said...

What a cute card! I love the moon and immediately thought how cute it would look with a cow jumping over it!

Chriss Blagrave said...

This is a darling card! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Amy, You never cease to amaze me! You are so creative. I love how you made the moon out of the cuttlebug embossing folder. Cute as can be!
~Pam
http://stampsinc.blogspot.com/

Conniecrafter said...

That is just too cute, what a perfect embossing for the moon and love the stars, of course the boy is colored perfectly, Love it!

Nancy Riley said...

That embossed moon is brilliant! Very very creative!

Linda Beeson said...

Oh wow, how could your moon idea be any more perfect! That is something that is going to get the kids attention for sure! LOVE it!

Lorelie Kim said...

Super duper CUTE!!! Love your "cratered" moon!!!

America said...

I love your beautiful mind.... there's soooo much creativity hidden in there .... way to go with this CUTE and fabulous card Amy. love everything about it! SUPER FUN!!

Kelly said...

Love the embossed moon. :-)

Perhaps you could color just the dark grey areas on the spacesuit with pink and then change out the ribbon for a pink one as well. (I'm wondering if an all-pink spacesuit would be too much pink for the card.)

Kelly in Ohio

Cindy Major said...

What a clever way to use the embossing folder! It does look like the moon - a very cool one!

Cindy