Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Secret to Having it All



Today's challenge over at Our Creative Corner is to pick a favorite embellishment and build a card around it. A while back, I picked up some fancy, glittery chipboard frame stickers from K&Co's Blue Awning line, but hadn't used a single one. So that's the embellishment I started with.

For my layout, I turned to Jen del Muro's newest Sketch for You to Try. All of my papers also come from K&Co's Blue Awning line, so this was a super easy card to pull together. As I was trying to figure out what to put IN the frame, I kept thinking what a nice layout for a photo. Pop a picture in there and frame it even. But I felt weird about making a project for an i{heart}2stamp sketch and not actually stamping, so I went with this great {stamped} quote from Stampin Up's retired Friendship Flowers set.

To get some dimension on the flowers, I curled the petals on the bottom large flower down and the petals on the top large flower up. They're each topped with a smaller flower, a 1/4" navy circle, and a navy brad. Here's a detail shot:



Ever wish SU carried brads in all of its colors? Heidi at Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts does! She even has the elusive ivory and white.

The inside is finished as well:



For more OCC inspiration, visit the OCC blog or head over to the individual designers' blogs: Cindy Haffner, Dawn Easton, Jackie Pedro, Jennifer Meyer, Julee Tilman, Kim Teasdale, Laurie Schmidlin, Lynda Benden, Silke Ledlow. This week, please help us welcome the newest OCC designer, Lori Boyd! We're also thrilled to have Gabriela Divine as our guest this week! Hope you can play along. Details are on the OCC blog.

To see Jen's awesome sketch this week, visit her at i{heart}2stamp, where you can also give a warm welcome to stamping rockstar Jody Morrow, guest designer for February. So excited for you to join us, Jody! Then check out what the rest of the team did with the sketch: Amy Rohl, Carole Burrage, Kelly Lunceford, Shannan Teubner, and Susan Liles. Ready to give this sketch a try? Just link up your creation to Jen's post. If you upload to SCS, use keyword: SFYTT.

Have a great weekend. I'm excited to get some warmer temps here in Virginia!



Stamps: Friendship Flowers (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: SU Night of Navy and Very Vanilla; K&Co "Blue Awning" designer paper
Ink: SU Night of Navy; Ranger Old Paper Distress
Accessories: navy brads and ribbon (Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts); flower, scallop border, and 1/4" circle punches, distressing tool, sponge (SU); chipboard frame (K&Co); sewing machine and gold metallic thread
Size: 6" square

42 comments:

Kim Dellow said...

WOW stunning. Beautiful card. Kim

"Luv 2 Glitter" by Brenda M. said...

Gorgeous........love the colours.....they are so awesome and perfect. You did a fabulous job with your layout. Love it.

Danielle said...

Gorgeous colour combo here Amy - what a beautiful card. Love that sentiment - it's so true!!
Hugs, Danielle

Basement Stamper said...

Gorgeous card! Love the layered flowers that look like primas in the card!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Amy! Your design is stunning and I LOVE that swirly frame!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Jennifer :)

America said...

OH, what great DP, colors and flowers! tfs :)

Sparkle and Flourish said...

Stunning card. Love the colours..that deep blue is so rich and deep. The sentiment is great and I love the fabulous layout.

Judy x

Bonnie said...

Beautiful! I Love chipboard, I Love glitter and I absolutely Love your creation! Beautiful colours!

Anonymous said...

Oooooooooohhhhhh!!!! I love this!!!! What a cool frame, and how did I miss that sentiment stamp??? I need to go ebay surfing now to find it!

Silke Ledlow said...

WOW - Amy - this card is gorgeous inside and out!!! I love the big chipboard frame!!!

Dawn Easton said...

You know what I want? The secret to where all your creativity comes from?! hehe! This is gorgeous Amy! Wow! I think I seriously need to sit down and totally CASE one of your cards. I love the look but am not sure how to get it...a CASE may help! Thanks for sharing your inspiration!!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Amy this is gorgeous, you always have such amazing cards.

Jacqueline said...

How gorgeous!! I love the color combo, the frame is great! So beautiful!!

Denise Marzec said...

You ROCK!! This is awesome!

Wendy Hall said...

Gorgeous card, love the coordinating flowers

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! LOVE IT!!

Kelly Lunceford said...

Gorgeous! I love that K&Co. frame! Great job! I Love all of the details...they are always perfect!

Barbara said...

Beautiful card! I love the colors and the DP. It looks so elegant.

Marcie Sharp said...

I just love the colours you have used. What a beautiful card! K & Company really does make some fabulous embellishements don't they??

Debbie said...

BEAUTIFUL card! These papers and colors are so lovely -- how did I ever miss that collection at my (too frequent) visits to the LSS? Guess I'll be making a visit to look for them this afternoon. (grin!)

Amy Rohl said...

Hi Amy!

Thank you for you sweet comment this morning, and it sure means a ton coming from you!

I love the colors and your flourishy frame. The flowers are perfect and the quote is so true...especially for me and my blog post today! Another beauty!

Denise said...

Beautiful, Amy~ I love it!

Heather P. said...

Oh, this is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Wowzers! The metallic thread is a very nice touch indeed!

Jessie/knightrone said...

This is breathtaking!!

Lynda Benden said...

WOW Amy, this is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love those colors and the flowers & frame are AWESOME! You are amazing!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is fabulous! I just love this color combination and all your details are stunning.

Unknown said...

hi amy!!! good to see ya friday! i left an award for you on my blog - check it out if you get a chance!!!

FANTASTIC card as always!!

hugs
M

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Love that oh-so-true sentiment! And can you just stop be so awesome and let the rest of us shine for uno momento?! Dang... it's getting chilly in your big fat shadow, rock star!!! JK -- you know I love you, Pickles!!! :)

Chrissie said...

This card is just perfection. I love the colours, the elements, the design, and the sentiment is just SO true.
Lovely!
Chrissie

Bev J. said...

Beautiful-I love blue and I love K&Company! Like how you tied it all in together. tfs

ScrappyKy said...

Love this color combo! I also love how the frame sets off the entire card. It was a perfect choice for the challenge.

Denise said...

Amy, I left you somethng on my blog! Hugs~ Denise

Mari said...

This is amazing! Love the colors, love the sketch, agree with the picture idea and wish I could remember to punch flowers out of dp. Duh!

Norine said...

beautiful love those colors
hugs
Norine

Jody Morrow said...

WOW! Your card is AWESOME! SO SO beautiful... just like everything else you make! :)

Erin Smetak said...

Oh Amy, this is absolutely beautiful! And you're making me want to go out and buy a sewing machine just so I can stitch like you do!!!!

And I'm loving how you finish the inside of cards! Duh! What a concept! I'm going to start doing that too! I hope you don't mind me "casing" your idea!!!!

Anonymous said...

great card and i love the sentiment.

Kathy Jones said...

Gorgeous!!! I just love the vintage feel of this card! Love the colours and the flowers - absolutely beautiful!

Kimberly Crawford said...

Beautiful!! LOVE the blue and the frame!! WOW!

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous, I just love this K&co. line, my favorite, great sentiment, and such lovely frame and flowers!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful, beautiful card!