Friday, February 27, 2009

California Poppy



I posted this on SCS for Tuesday's color challenge - Pumpkin Pie, Kiwi Kiss, and Summer Sun. I thought the color combo would be perfect for an orange poppy, and this image from Anna Wight's gorgeous Blossoms and Butterflies set was just the thing. The sentiment is from Blooming Expressions, also one of Anna's sets. Both are available from Whipper Snapper Designs.

I colored the image using a blender pen and Stampin' Up reinkers. To get some extra depth to the coloring, I added some shadows to the Pumpkin Pie flower using Really Rust and some shadows to the Kiwi Kiss stems and buds using Always Artichoke. I also added a glow of Summer Sun (had to work that in to qualify for the color challenge, right?) around the flower and also used Summer Sun for some highlights on the buds. The shapely tag die is from BossKut - Vintage tag #0834. I purchased mine from cutathome.com. The black mat is hand-trimmed.

Have an awesome day!



Stamps: Blossoms and Butterflies, Blooming Expressions (Whipper Snapper Designs)
Paper: PTI Vintage Cream; SU Basic Black, textured Kiwi Kiss, and Pumpkin Pie prints; Canson watercolor paper
Ink:
Versafine Onyx Black; SU Pumpkin Pie, Kiwi Kiss, Summer Sun, More Mustard, Really Rust, Always Artichoke
Accessories:
Offray ribbons, Martha Stewart lace border punch, BossKut Vintage Tag die, SU 1/4" circle punch, paper piercer, vintage brads, dimensionals

29 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Amy! Your coloring and composition is always so perfect!

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

oh WOW...this is LOVELY!!

Danielle said...

So pretty Amy - what a fabulous colour combo and I LOVE that die cut - just gorgeous!
Hugs, Danielle

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous card. I love the details that you add to your projects and am always inspired by your work. Your watercolouring is beautiful and the lacy scallop edge is perfect for this card.

Melisa Hunter

Rachel Hope said...

Stunning! Everything is Perfection!

bumblebee creations said...

I love the colors you have done here!!! WOW!! that flower really pops!! aawesome coloring and shading-wish i could do that!!

Shannan Teubner said...

Gorgeous, girlfriend! Love that flower!

Juliana said...

WOW!!
This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I love the coloring--and how the accessories really coordinate with the main images (Especially that die--thanks for the info!)

Lori Craig said...

woWza!! this is beaUtiful!

Diane said...

Very pretty card! I love poppies!

Stephanie Hargis said...

Wow Amy! This is absolutely gorgeous girl! I love that color combination with this stamp! It fits perfectly! Your water coloring is phenomenal too!

Stampin_melissa said...

Stunning Amy! I just love your colors and I'm NOT a fan of orange!

Emily said...

This is so beautiful, as all your cards are. I look forward to seeing all your new creations everyday in my blog update. You are such an inspiration!

Jessie/knightrone said...

Gorgeous as always Amy!!

Michelle said...

Amy, this is gorgeous! The colors really pop with the black, & I *love* that die!!

Dawn Easton said...

Wow Amy! This is beautiful!

DoxieGirl said...

gawh-geous dahling!
~Kendra

Jodi Collins said...

This is simply STUNNING Amy! The colors, the layout, the tag the image is on...WOW! LOVE this!! Hugs!!

Kathy Jones said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! What a fabulous way to use the challenge colours, amazing colouring, wonderful layout and as always so very elegant!!!

Unknown said...

You've gone and done it again!!!
I just opened the e-mail and saw this and just kind of sagged me shoulders and sighed. I'm going to sit here all morning now and ogle it.
Luv Viv xxx

CherylQuilts said...

Amy, this is absolutely gorgeous...it's so striking with the vivid colors. And your work is exquisite...thanks for this inspiration! I love (and have) these two Anna Wight sets...so I guess I need to try something with them. Ha-ha! TFS!

dlove2scrap said...

I just love this card. OMG, I have never really used flowers in my cards but you inspire me to break them out. TFS!!

Anonymous said...

Incredibly beautiful Amy, I love the BossKut Tag, your design is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Eye-poppin' poppy! That BossKut tag is gorgeous; thanks for the information on it. Can that die be used in a Cuttlebug?

America said...

Oh AMY, you can do no wrong in my book! :) No matter what colors or challenge limitations you are given- you always seem to outdo and OUTSHINE with your works of art! Way to go! :)

Kathy W said...

Beautiful card, I love the die used. I am also wondering if it can be used in the Cuttlebug. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Amy! I wasn't so sure with this color combo for the challenge but you pulled it off brilliantly! Another work of art!

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful, such lovely coloring and the frame is so pretty, great job on the black matting of it!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Stunning!! WOW! Love your fabulous coloring!! And your frame and dp really enhance your flower image!!