Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Clearly, I {HEART} U



Check out the My Favorite Things SCS forum today for MFT's regular "What's Up Wednesday" feature. Holly has issued an Awesome Acetate challenge, and Joanne has a super cool "How'd They Do That" tutorial on making custom embellishments with Powder keg embossing powder (she's sold me!).

I haven't done an acetate card in a long time, so I was excited to play along in Holly's challenge. I took a 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" square of heavy acetate** and folded it in half for the card base. The lighter blue curvy rectangle (SU's retired Cool Caribbean) was cut with Nestabilities, and the Tempting Turquoise mat behind it was hand-trimmed. There is another Cool Caribbean rectangle attached on the back side of the card front to hide the adhesive. (Like a sandwich: caribbean, turquoise, acetate, caribbean.) I repeated that on the card inside. The letters are from Bling 'Bet by My Favorite Things. I stamped the circles on the background in white Staz-On using an image from MFT's Let's Go For A walk set.

These clear cards are really difficult to photograph. In the first photo, my lighting makes the acetate looks a little cloudy. In real life, it's crystal clear. This next photo is dark, but it shows the clarity much better:



Along with the WUW challenge and the How'd They Do That tutorial, MFT also has Wednesday specials in the store. To stay up to date on all the MFT happenings, be sure to subscribe to MFT's "Brand Spankin' News" newsletter. Scroll down to the bottom of the store's home page and you'll find the sign-up box.

** The acetate I used is clear card stock from Flourishes, LLC. I was ordering some stamps in their store recently and stumbled upon this. I *knew* anything by Flourishes would be top quality, and it is! I've used office supply transparency sheets before when the acetate doesn't need to be so thick (like window cards, shakers, etc.), but for card bases and making clear boxes, this stuff from Flourishes is amazing!

Speaking of Flourishes ... when I was at CHA last month, Michelle Rodgers of Stamper's Dream told me she's going to start carrying Flourishes stamps in her store. I'm excited - anytime I can consolidate my purchases and save on shipping is a bonus! This week, Michelle's Dream Team is doing sneak peeks of three new sets that Flourishes will be releasing on Friday, and Michelle invited me to play along. I'll be showing something on Friday, but today you can see peeks from Charmaine, Cammie, and Kimberly. And you'll definitely want to hop over to the Stamper's Dream store to see all the awesome new products coming in from Michelle's CHA shopping spree. My favorite place to start is the New Arrivals section!

Thanks for stopping by!


20 comments:

Jenn said...

Stunning! I love the circles...an all around fabulous card! :D

Jacqueline said...

Oh this is amazing! Best acetate card I have seen yet! Love the size of this card! gorgeous everything!!

Erum Tasneem said...

so unique! Love it!

Kelly Lunceford said...

I love this! Acetate card are so fun! You did a greatjob!

Kimberly Crawford said...

WOW! I LOVE that acetate!! The stamping on it is SO fabulous!!!
Your cards are always amazing, but this one might be my new favorite!!!
(((HUGS))))

Natasha said...

Amy! This is fabulous! Absolutely stunning.

Unknown said...

OMGosh...I LOVE that card!!! Honestly, I don't think you EVER run out of fabulous and creative ideas! :-)

Jessie/knightrone said...

This is stunning Amy!! I love it!!

Angie Tieman said...

This is stunning!

Unknown said...

wonderful card! i LOVE acetate cards, really anything with acetate or acrylics! love your colors too!
hugs
M

Norine said...

so very pretty love the red & blue
hugs
Norine

Pricousins said...

I love this card! gorgeous!!!

Angie

Dawn Easton said...

Fantastic acetate card Amy! Thanks for the heads up on the acetate...I'll need some!
Such a cute cute cute card!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, it looks fabulous! Love your card base!

Cindy

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, makes a nice masculine valentine!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Fabulous Amy!! Love the circles on the acetate!! Awesome card!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Another gorgeous card! I'll have to check out that embossing powder!

*Hugs*

~Spike

Erin Smetak said...

Oh, this card is beautiful! I'm very afraid of acetate cards! I like your idea about the sandwich! I'll have to try that sometime if I ever attempt an acetate card!

Thanks for the great idea!!!!

Anonymous said...

STUNNING Card Amy!!! Love it

Anthonette said...

I LOVE acetate cards! Gorgeous job. The stamped circles add a cool detail.