Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Think GREEN!



It's VIP day at My Favorite Things! If you just happened to stop by today, you've landed at the tail end of our monthly VIP blog hop. Which means there's lots of catching up to do! Head over to Kim's to get started! If you came here from Kerry, you're in the right place.

What is VIP day? It's a chance for you to pick up one of next month's stamp sets a whole two weeks early, plus get your hands on additional not-yet-released stamps and products, including a NEW, mystery Die-namics die! Be one of the first to get this new die - official release is not until June 2. But hurry - the June VIP Package is available one day only (through Wednesday, May 19 at 11:59 PM EST)!

What's in it?

Who’s That Girl Goes Green $17.95
What a Day (FREE, $9 value)
Twill Ribbon Collection $5.95
Die-namics Edge Die $11.95

WTG Goes Green VIP is available now for $35.85.

For my card, I've stamped one of the two main images onto one of MFT's Perfect Paper Panels and colored her with a combination of Copic markers and Prismacolor pencils. I created a paint-strip effect using punched squares of different designer papers from Jillibean Soup, then added a Jumbo Scallops border, some twill, and a burlap scrap. The patterned Kraft background is from Basic Grey's new Kraft Basics 6x6 pad. The layout mostly follows Mojo Monday Sketch #137 (I added to the sketch just a bit).

Here's a fun little detail. I saw Jessica's challenge over on the Paper Crafts Connections blog, which is to incorporate phone book pages into your design. I was looking for a fourth pattern for my vertical strip, so I punched a square from the business pages -- from the "Green" listings, of course.


On the inside, I've included this awesome Gandhi quote: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."



So inspiring and motivating, as is this whole set, which promotes a philosophy very near and dear to me! Along the bottom, I stamped the words "Reduce," "Reuse," and "Recycle" onto each Jumbo Scallop, then added the recycling logo (one of the stamps in the WTG Goes Green set) in between the scallops. The little black brads are from the Baby Braddies Adornments - Summer Collection.

Tip: In order to stamp the sentiment all curvy, I first cut the stamp itself into three pieces (gotta love clear stamps for this!), one for each line, then placed each piece of the stamp on individual blocks in the shape desired. When I cut my stamps apart like this, I try not to cut in a straight line. Instead I make sure there is a zig-zag or notch somewhere, so that when I want to stamp the sentiment in its original format, it's easier and quicker to fit the pieces back together.

I hope you've found our VIP blog hop inspiring! Both the June VIP Package and the new Costumes from Wonderland (shown elsewhere along the hop) are available NOW! Oooo, do I spy some new, very cool digi papers, too? Yes, be sure to Take Note! Happy shopping!



Stamps: Who's That Girl Goes Green (My Favorite Things)
Paper: Papertrey Spring Moss, Stampin' Up Basic Black, MFT white
Perfect Paper Panels, Jillibean Soup Lentil Soup designer papers, Basic Grey Kraft Basics 6x6 dp
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black,
Versamagic Tea Leaves, Ranger Frayed Burlap and Brushed Corduroy Distress Inks
Accessories: Copic markers (E000, E00, E40, E41, E42, W1, W3, W5, W7, YG00, YG21, YG13, YG25), Prismacolor pencils (PC915-Lemon Yellow, PC1005-Limepeel, PC1080-Beige Sienna, PC1085-Peach Beige), 5/8" natural twill, Making Memories button, May Arts burlap string, foam tape, burlap scrap,
MFT Die-namics Jumbo Scallops edge die, sewing machine, distressing tool, MFT Baby Braddies - Summer Collection, 1/2" circle punch
Size: 5 1/2" square

40 comments:

Cindy Haffner said...

Love that sketch Amy FABULOUS job.

StampOwl said...

love how you stamped the words in the scallops

Christina Fischer said...

Amy, your eye for detail is always amazing! This card is fabulous!!!

Kelli Hull said...

Could you please tell me how you came up with that ratty ole burlap??? That idea is AWESOME!!! It looks TOTALLY GREEN!!!!!

LOVE IT!!!!!

Megan said...

Boy, do I ever love this! The details on the inside are just as immaculate as the outside. You are truly one of a kind!

Unknown said...

amy...this is fabulous! love the color combos, the layout, and your coloring is superb! gorgeous job!

Anonymous said...

Can I tell you that I love you and you not get weirded out by it!! I just love coming to your blog and always seeing something amazing and then think to myself 'maybe I will be as great as her when I grow up'! You rock!

Raven said...

Amy, I am a follower of your blog, and you never cease to inspire! i love the grungy, organic feel to your card.

Oliwiaen said...

Absolutely stunning! A perfect card to picture the idea.

UHK Gallery said...

I love your cards!!!

Love it!
Love it!
Love it!

Perfect work!!!

Unknown said...

You could make a trash can look good my frikend!!
Hugs Viv xxx

Unknown said...

Oh my word, is this ever a thing of BEAUTY! Simply amazing as always Miss Amy!

Michele Boyer said...

You always add the perfect little touches, Amy. I love the scrap of burlap.

Dawn Easton said...

Fan-freakin'-tastic Amy! Love this one girl! The idea of punching GREEN from the phone book is brilliant! I'm so glad I ordered the VIP package again this month...hehe!

Lisa H. said...

i learn something from you everytime I visit your blog-LOVE that you used phone book piece on your card-that strip of squares is an awesome element! you are awesome!

LollyChops said...

Amazing card Amy! I cannot get over the details you put into your work! It takes me a while to really "see" everything you have done! I love it!

Broni said...

I just LOVE this card, Amy! Love all the wonderful details, like the burlap, twill, the phone page(cool!) and the distressing! Just great!!

Tracey said...

I am loving the colours on this and the distressing is gorgeous!!

Sherrie said...

All the details are completely wonderful on your card...but what drew me in?....YOUR COLORING! Awesomeness!

Conniecrafter said...

so cool and creative, like your stitching and the neat idea to use a strip from the phone book!

Barbara said...

Perfection, as always, Amy! All your little details are so fabulous I can't stand it!!

Susan said...

I can't believe all the details you put into this card! How neat is that? Excellent job! Thanks for sharing!

Marimer said...

Otra tarjeta creativa y maravillosa.
Besitos.

Susie said...

Ditto to all of the above. This card is cute, clever, and as always, done with perfection and detail in mind. The tip for cutting up the sentiment stamp was something I had never thought of - to borrow a phrase from Robert DiNero, "You're good you!"

Julie said...

Oh Amy, you have done it again! This card is GORGEOUS! I love all the earthy elements you used!

Melody said...

Amazing Amy. Love the layout and colors. I will be casing that paint strip idea! Love how you used the sentiments on the inside!

Jen Tapler said...

You are a genius. "Green" from the phone book!?!? Seriously? Where do you come up with these ideas?? LOVE it.

Allison said...

Love this! The colours are fabulous and I love how you did the inside too!

Deborah Young said...

Oh good grief. I cannot BELIEVE you punched the "Green's" from the phone book. Brilliant! Genius!!! Adorable! Perfect!

dpkennedy said...

Wow! What a great design! I love these colors too!

Unknown said...

LOL Amy, 'dropping a clanger' means making a mistake. (I got that expression of my dad). I think it comes from bell ringing. The clanger is the doo-dad inside the bell that makes the sound and if you were to drop it.....you couldn't ring the bell. Hence the expression. It's a typical Northern England saying.
Hugs Viv xxx

Kathy Jones said...

This is fabulous!!! Awesome use of colours and papers and your detailing is just soooooo perfect!!!

g said...

incredible and amazing eye candy on every inch! LOVE it!

Michelle said...

great cards!

Katie Cotton said...

i LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

I just absolutely LOVE your cards!!! They're AMAZING!! Nathaly

kadie said...

This is total perfection! Every detail is beautiful!

Chris said...

your distressig is outrageous, I love it!

Jessie/knightrone said...

Wow girl!! Absolutely fabulous!!

AMIT said...

Green color looks just lovely.

Advertising Network India