Monday, January 18, 2010

My Little Love Monkey



Oh my goodness, this cutie-pie little monkey from Verve's new Love Monkey set makes me grin every time I look at him! I just love his little expression! Last week, during the release week festivities, Tosh hosted a "Get In Shape" challenge, which was to make a card that isn't a standard square or rectangle. I went with a circle card, which, believe it or not, I've never done before. Such fun, though! This definitely won't be my last.

My little love monkey is stamped in Ranger's Walnut Stain Distress Ink, then colored with Copic markers and trimmed out. The card is designed with Basic Grey's Sugar Rush papers and embellished with a Melissa Frances glittered heart, a button trio, a sentiment flag, and Swarovski crystals around the perimeter. On the inside, I included another sentiment and a pair of stamped hearts, also from the Love Monkey set.

To see tons more cute ideas for this set, visit Verve's Love Monkey gallery. I can hardly stand seeing that much cuteness all in one place!



Let me address the top fold, since someone might be curious. I started with a piece of folded ivory card stock, which I die-cut with one of Spellbinders' scalloped circle dies. I made sure the fold was just inside the die on two of the scallops, so that I didn't entirely cut off the fold. So far, so good, however, from the outside, I didn't really want those two partially folded scallops to show, so here's what I did to hide them. On the outside, I adhered a same-size green scalloped circle to the card front. The full scallops at the top hide the two folded ones underneath. I could have stopped there, but I also took the whole card and adhered it to a larger ivory scalloped circle. When the card is closed you see a double scalloped border - green and white. Does that make sense? Let me know if more pictures would be helpful!

Thanks for visiting!



Stamps: Love Monkey (Verve Stamps)
Paper: Papertrey Vintage Cream card stock, Basic Grey Sugar Rush dp
Ink: Ranger Walnut Stain Distress Ink, Stampin' Up Real Red, Papertrey Fresh Snow
Accessories: Spellbinders classic and scalloped circle Nestabilities, EK Success scalloped border punch, Melissa Frances glittered chipboard heart, Papertrey buttons, May Arts burlap string, Swarovski crystals, foam adhesive, Copic markers

27 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Adorable image! Love your layout! You never miss a detail! Only you would have thought to hide those half scallops...hehe! Brilliant idea!

Gretchen said...

What a great way to hide the fold! This card is just adorable and my little monkey is on it's way!! What a fun Verve release party!

Gabriela said...

Amy - I just love, llove, LOVE your circle scalloped monkey card. The details are fantastic.

Barbara said...

This just couldn't be any cuter, Amy!!!

Shelly said...

This is SO Stinkin' CUTE!!! Love it! I actually clicked in from an e-mail feed to comment on your Dream Come True post and this super cute popped up and brought an instant smile to my face! I LOVE your creations! I wish I had one little pinky of your creativity! Thanks for all the inspiration! Have a great week!

Marisa said...

Aren't you smart hiding your fold. I thought of it but as so tired out from all the challenges I just let my show LOL! Great idea and a darling card.

Country Mouse said...

You're right, that little monkey guy is so cute!!! Love your card, it's adorable!!!

michib said...

What an adorable card! and thanks for the instructions on the card, I was wondering how you were able to keep the scallops but still have the fold there. It's always great to pick up new tricks and techniques.

Lea L. said...

Awwww...this is darling! I love the cute little monkey, and the fabulous glittered heart he is sitting on! :)

♥Lea

Chriss Blagrave said...

Your little monkey is adorable on this shaped card. Love the finished inside too! This is something I am hoping to do more of this year(finishing the insides)

Jana Weaver said...

Very cute...and I love the double layered look to it! You explained it perfectly!!

Allison said...

This is too cute! Love all the details - buttons, crystals, flitter! Fantastic!

Sarah Gough said...

Gorgeous! Nesties are great for shaped cards, I love your faux front fix!

That monkey is just the cutest thing I've seen all year.

Tammy said...

That monkey is too cute!!

Kathy Jones said...

Amy this is just ADORABLE!!!! Love how you hid your fold!!! Such a cute little guy and love all the bling, buttons and sparkly heart!!! :)

Jami said...

Ooooohhhhhh....Love this sweet card!! Cute monkey, and love the inside too!! Great new blog banner too!!

Gabi Alberti said...

wow!! it's so cute!! i loved it!

KanataNewf said...

this is just so cute!

Anthonette said...

Stunning card! I love how you hide the half scallops.

~Etoile~ said...

Wowww it's gorgeous!!! I love what you do!!!

Desire Fourie said...

Just so beautilicious. Great colours and design too.
Hugs
Desire

Jerri Kay said...

Totally adorable Amy!

Diane Jaquay said...

Utterly ADORABLE!!!

leslie said...

The hide-the-fold thing is sooo clever! :-)

Crafty Cath said...

LOVE this card. Only you would come up with a way to hide the fold! You can bet that I'm going to give this one a try. Your details were great - so gracious of you to educate us. Thanks for adding a smile to my day!

Conniecrafter said...

he is too cute, love the paper too, the heart and buttons just top it off!

Angel said...

Absolutely ADORABLE! Love the circle shaped card too. I don't do the different shapes often... and I don't know why not? :-)