Monday, January 25, 2010

More Rolling Pin Kitchen Decor



I guess I have a thing for rolling pins! When I posted this project last week, I was reminded of another rolling pin project that I made back during my Dirty Dozen tenure. The month I made this, our theme was Making a House a Home. Here's what I wrote for Splitcoast:

When my husband and I moved to the country, my dream was to find an old, historic home with lots of character. When we weren't able to find what we were looking for, we opted to build new and try to include some historic elements. We have salvaged barn beams on the ceiling of our breakfast room, a fireplace mantel put together from an old floor joist and two roof corbels, and a pantry door that was salvaged from a more than 200-year-old farmhouse near Virginia's capital. When I started thinking about this month's theme, I thought how fun and how appropriate it would be to repurpose an antique of some sort. After MUCH looking, I settled on using this old dough pin to hold a wall-hanging for my kitchen. I've mounted it on our aged and well-loved pantry door.


The stamps are retired Annie LaPoint herb images from My Favorite Things. Coloring is with Copics. The designer papers are older papers from Stampin' Up - Brocade Backgrounds, maybe? The grayish-looking horizontal panel just behind the three herb images is actually more of a Close to Cocoa color. Check out those bows - they could use some serious help, huh? {giggle} And to think I had a Bow-Easy in my possession that whole time - I 'd forgotten about it!

The hardest part about this project was finding the pin. A couple of antique shop owners told me the older rolling pins go out just as soon as they come in, especially the ones that are made from a single piece of wood. It was torture looking through all those antique shops, I tell ya {wink}!

Thanks for visiting!

11 comments:

Chriss Blagrave said...

Oh Amy!, this is so beautiful! Love everything about it, bows too;) Thanks for putting in the extra energy of finding the perfect roller pin! It was sure worth it.

Barbara said...

Just gorgeous, Amy!!!

Phebe Meeder said...

Gorgeous...again

BarbL said...

I LOVE this idea! I just may have to copy it! I have my nana's old rolling pin and it's a bit warped so I can't really use it anymore. It's been sitting in the drawer because I just can't bear to part with it, and now, I won't have to!! Thanks so much for sharing this Fantabulous idea!!

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow, this is gorgeous. Love the colours and its a great design too. Wishing you a wonderful Tuesday.
Hugs
Desire

Judy Covey said...

Amy, what a fantastic idea! The whole thing is gorgeous. I bought a rolling pin a number of years ago for a particular project and then time went on and I couldn't remember why I bought it. Now I think that I'll try to create, the best I can, something similar to yours. Thanks for the terrific idea :-)

Kathy Jones said...

I just love the antique feel of this Amy!!! Beautiful design and colours and oh so perfect for the challenge!!

Conniecrafter said...

Another goregous piece, great ways to use your work in your decorating!

America said...

Another masterpiece!!! You are also perfect at decorating!??? WOW!!! YOU DO ROCK!! :) AND am Im ever sooo lucky & surely a happy girl -to be able to get a peek at all the beauties you create!!

dpkennedy said...

So pretty Amy! I love repurposing and using antique/vintage items! My house isn't historic by any means, but has much of the original hardware from the 40's. My husband still curses me everytime one of the glass door knobs fall off one of the bedroom doors! But I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Amy this is pretty. Too bad that stamp set is retired, it's a great set!