Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Take Me Home, Country Roads



I've been up to my eyeballs in paperwork while getting prepared for a meeting I'm having tonight with the parents of the girls in a new Daisy troop I'm helping to lead. (Side note: from that sentence, would you ever guess I was once an editor? "Could I buy a comma, please?") What I also used to be was a Girl Scout, many, many years ago. But this will be my first experience as a leader - wish me luck!

Anyway, it seems like my family and I have all picked up quite a few more extracurriculars this year, which is seriously cutting into my stamping time (I know ... WHAT?! LOL.) So today I thought I'd dip into my "rainy day fund" of projects not yet shown here. This, one of my all-time favorite cards ever, is a card that I made for the Splitcoast Dirty Dozen gallery last October (2008). Our theme that month was "For A Song," and our projects were all related to, or inspired by, music.

Here's what I wrote at the time:


Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountain, Shenandoah River,
Life is old there, older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains,
blowing like a breeze

Country Roads, take me home
To the place I
belong,
West Virginia,
Mountain mama, take me home
Country roads

~Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver~

I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, very close to the Shenandoah River and nearby Blue Ridge Mountains, so this song speaks of home and brings back so many childhood memories. This image from Art Impressions seemed like a perfect fit for the song. The barn, rolling hills, and barbed-wire fence look just like a scene you'd expect to find along an old, country road.The image is stamped on watercolor paper and watercolored with various Stampin' Up reinkers. I embellished with burlap ribbon, buttons, and twine for an outdoorsy, country look.This month, each of the DD designers has selected a favorite project to feature. I'm choosing this one for two reasons. The first is the emotional connection to the scene in the image and to the song lyrics that inspired the card. Second, so many of my favorite things are incorporated into the design -- watercoloring, distressing, earth tones, and lots of texture and dimension. I hope you like it too!



Speaking of the Dirty Dozen, on the 20th of each month, some of the current dirty girls and DD alumni participate in a group challenge. This month's challenge is "You Want a {Paper} Piece of Me." The challenge is to paper piece and the required element is to use fall or Christmas colors. I wasn't able to play along this month, but you can check out all the fabulous entries throughout the day at keyword DCPOM1009 on Splitcoast.

Hope your week is off to a great start! Thanks for visiting!



Stamps: M-3180 Farm Window (Art Impressions)
Paper: True Thyme, Really Rust card stock (SU!); watercolor paper (Canson); "Simple Pleasures" dp (Close To My Heart)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); various dye reinkers (SU!)
Accessories: aqua painter, edge distressing tool, sponge daubers, dimensionals (SU!); Garden Green buttons (Close to My Heart); burlap ribbon (SEI); branch punch (Martha Stewart); thin twine, sewing machine, thread

Size: 5 1/2" square

33 comments:

Marci said...

This card is wonderful!! Love all the details. Thanks so much for sharing!
Good Luck in being a Leader for your Daisy group. It should be fun!!

sylvia said...

ssssooooo pretty
hugs syl

Phebe Meeder said...

another stunning card...your work is phenominal

Jessica Diedrich said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Amy! Haha commas...what are those? I had to giggle bc I think I am the queen of run ons! Your coloring on this is just beautiful and I LOVE the twine and buttons! Perfect interpretation of that song!

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Love the color combination and use of twine! Such a beautiful card, Amy!

Nikki Schmaltz said...

This is an absolutely Gorgeous piece of work. I adore all the twine and then the pop of the image. Beautiful! Plus, I used to LOVE John Denver. To make you feel better about commas, I heard a girl call Virginia, "Virg(eye)nia" yesterday. HELLO???? Education? We can forgive any comma mistakes, I'm sure.

Marimer said...

¡Suerte en tu aventura!, me ha encantado leer tu entrada, tanto como tu card, siempre aciertas en la diana, enhorabuena. Bss

Jennifer Love said...

Beautiful card! I'm from Kentucky so I know of which you speak regarding the conjuring up memories of home. :)

Ree Donnelly said...

You made me laugh aloud with the beginning part of the post! You'll make a great troop leader, don't you worry.
Gorgeous card Amy! :o)

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! I love rustic feel to it. Wonderful!

Linda Carson said...

WOW! Love it!

Only By His Grace said...

Wow! A totaly perfect layout.
Your water colouring is fabulous too. I love everything about this one.
Hugs
Marion

Basement Stamper said...

beautiful card, I'm sure your night as a girl scout leader will be perfect!

Michelle said...

This is so gorgeous, Amy! I can see why it's a favorite!! You will ROCK as a leader, you are totally organized & I know you'll plan endless exciting outings!!! Do you get a sash & beanie?? Or am I dating myself?? LOL

Tammy said...

LOVE your work Amy and your country roads theme is wonderful!!

Inspirational for sure!!

Melody said...

Really beautiful work Amy! I was a co-leader for a Daisy Troop for my youngest daughter. We took them through 5th grade. I was also cookie mom for a few years for one of my other daughters! I did enjoy watching the girls grow up over time!

Angela S. said...

Another stunning card. Love all the twine you used..

Beth Norman said...

I worship the ground you walk on. You are the best!

Chris said...

Simply...gorgeous. It's so fall, it's so country roads...don't you wish time could slow down?! :)

Unknown said...

Totally totally wonderful Amy!
Hugs Viv xx

Stacey said...

Another beautiful card, as always, Amy! I was a co-leader last year, let me know if you want to get together and I can show you all my 'stuff'.

Barbara said...

Well, it certainly hasn't lost anything by waiting to be shown, Amy. Just stunning.

Conniecrafter said...

Awesome Autumn card, so Love your attention to detail!!

Anonymous said...

Amy, this is a lovely card and it sure epitomizes fall. I'm a Virginian too, and lived in Charlottesville for many years - I know exactly what you mean!!

dpkennedy said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! I love the elements and colors of your card...they are so warm and cozy, just like home!

Good luck with the Daisies Miss Vanna!!!

Betty Wright said...

GASP!!! So rich and fabulous, Amy!!! Beautiful design and detailing!!! Lovely card!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Absolutely gorgeous card - Amy!!! Love the colors, image and all the sweet details!!! Hugs ~S~

Kimberly Crawford said...

to say that card is gorgeous would be a great understatement! amazing. you constantly amaze me!!! thanks for all the wonderful inspiration!!!!!

Lorelie Kim said...

Love the card!! The burlap adds so much "country charm" to it!!

The Wired Angel said...

I have this stamp..(and most of the other AI ones in this series) but you did it justice. This is absolutely beautiful and such inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing your talent and creativity. Hugs, Peggy

mamia (me and mine in Alabama) said...

Love, love, love this card. Your inspiration really speaks to me. I grew up very close to where you are talking about, near Roanoke, Virginia. That is truly God's country, I get homesick just thinking about it. Left there 25 years ago but make it make once a year. I enjoy all your work, thanks for sharing.

Helen Dooley said...

beautiful card! I really mean gorgeous.

Gabriela said...

Amy - I adore your Take Me Home, Country Roads card and post. Your card is exquisite. I wonder if you would consider making another one and selling it to me (I love it THAT much!). While not a Virginia native, I have lived here for 10 years and love this beautiful state.