Saturday, October 25, 2008

Here I Come A-Wassailing



My new "Wassail" Basic Grey paper pack has arrived, and I love it even more than I thought I would! (Thank you, Michelle, at Stamper's Dream, for the super fast shipping, as always.)

This is my sample for Jen's Sketch For You To Try - another fun one (how DOES she do it?)! As always, you'll find the sketch, Jen's sample, and guest designer Nancy Riley's sample at i{heart}2stamp. More inspiration awaits over at Amy's, Carole's, Shannan's, and Susan's blogs. We hope you'll play along, too. If you upload to SCS, remember to use keyword: SFYTT.

The image, Wreathabella, is colored with Copic markers. I added a little liquid applique to the fuzzy parts. The "Joy" chipboard is by Scrapworks and came already red and glittery (in a box with a bunch of other glittery Christmas chipboard, too).

One thing I learned while coloring this image is that I need more red Copics! I have a bright pinkish red and then two really deep, dark reds, but a huge gap in the middle. It so happens that just the other day, while ordering some ribbon and brads from Heidi at Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts, I saw that she's doing a Copic pre-order right now. I also saw five of my favorite words: "Prices too low to advertise." LOL! If you're in the market for some Copics, anything from a few singles to full sets, you may want to pay her a visit. And check out her ribbon, brads, and other embellishments, too.

While I had my Wassail paper pack out, I thought I'd whip up a little something for this week's challenge at Our Creative Corner. Lynda Benden, our October host, has challenged us to create a gift item. Check out the blog for wonderful samples by the rest of the OCC team,Cindy Haffner,
Dawn Easton, Denise Marzec, Jennifer Meyer, Julee Tilman, Laurie Schmidlin and Lynda Benden. You'll also see amazing projects from guest designer Lindsey Botkin of Jacksonbelle Embellishments, as well as a fabulous giveaway. We'd love for you to play along!

Here's my project - a Christmas countdown calendar:



I made something similar last year, but wanted to do a "new and improved" version. The calendar is made from two 4" coasters held together with some spiral binding that I pilfered from an old Stampin' Up catalog that Staples once bound for me. I used a Crop-A-Dile to punch the holes. The numbers, as well as all the words, were created with the Brayton Font Ensemble from JustRite Stampers. Have I mentioned before how much I LOVE the JustRite products?!

Note: Now that I'm looking at this on screen, it seems so obvious to me that the "until Christmas" should have started on the bottom of the circle instead of the top. Visually, you'd read "days" first and then "until Christmas." This way is confusing, I think? Your eye wants to read "until" before "days." It'll probably bug me enough that I'll change it, but for now, you get the idea! [UPDATE: I tried it the other way, and surprise, it did not look good! So it's staying this way :)]

To make the calendar a little more stable (i.e., to make sure it doesn't fall down), I added a little crosspiece to the inside. It's a strip of card stock, approximately 2 1/2" x 1/2", scored 1/2" in on both sides to make two flaps. One flap is adhered to the back coaster. The other "flap" slips behind the ribbon that's tied around the front coaster. The end that tucks behind the ribbon is not secured with any adhesive, so you can fold this flat again for storage. Pictures might help you make sense of my babble:



Have you noticed how often I use Cranberry Crisp card stock? And ribbon, too, for that matter? Whatever am I going to do when I run out?!

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!




Wreathabella:
Stamps: Wreathabella (Stamping Bella)
Paper: Always Artichoke, Cranberry Crisp (retired), Whisper White card stock (SU); Stamper's Select White (Papertrey); Wassail dp (Basic Grey)
Ink: Brilliance Graphite Black; Always Artichoke, Cranberry Crisp
Accessories: Copic markers, liquid applique, "Joy" chipboard (ShimmerShapes Holiday Cheer Assortment by Scrapworks), paper piercer, Martha Stewart lace punch, Cranberry Crisp stitched ribbon (SU)
Size: 5 1/4" square

Christmas Countdown Calendar:
Stamps: JustRite circle stamper, Brayton Font Ensemble (JustRite)
Paper: Mellow Moss, Always Artichoke, Cranberry Crisp, White Naturals card stock (SU!); Wassail dp (Basic Grey)
Ink: Always Artichoke craft, Always Artichoke marker
Accessories: Harmony Classic Circle Stamper I (JustRite Stampers), Crop-A-Dile, Staples binding, 4" coaster, vintage brads, 1/4" circle punch, classic and scalloped Nestabilities, paper piercer, scallop border punch, Cranberry Crisp stitched ribbon

54 comments:

Pat said...

This is so cute. I need to make one for my granddaughters.

Anonymous said...

Amy - this is so awesome - love the countdown calender!!! Your first card is gorgeous too!!! The DP looks really cool!!!

Danielle said...

Beautiful card and project Amy. I've seen several cards made with the Basic Grey Wassail pack and I'm beginning to want it - badly!!!!

Basement Stamper said...

This is so cute and what a great idea for a countdown calendar!

Dawn Easton said...

Beautiful Amy! Your SFYTT card is so cute! Now that you say that, I think I have 4 reds/dark pinks...not much variety in my box either...better fix that eh?!
Your calendar is perfect! I read the DAYS first, think because it's on a white piece my eyes were drawn to it. I don't think you need to change a thing...love it!

Denise Marzec said...

GIRL, you're a total enabler...I NEED that Wassail paper. I'm going to head to Michelle's store next and order some!! hehe!

...and I totally read the countdown calendar the way you intented because the word "days" is layered on top of the "until Christmas"...it's perfect as is!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable card! Great job with the challenge! I'm going to have to start trying those challenges...she does such great sketches!

And that calendar is awesome! :)

June Houck said...

Gorgeous, Gorgeous!!! Perfect in every way. Your "until Christmas" is fine...I never gave it a thought.

Laurel said...

Love the card, and the paper!

Amy Rohl said...

Just stop it--I'd never know you were short of reds on your Bella bc the coloring is just gorgeous!!! I love the scallop/lace edge and the horizontal ribbons! Your countdown calendar is so fun...I'm thinking I need to do something like this too!

Have a great weekend Amy!

Marcie Sharp said...

Both projects are great Amy! I can't wait to get my hands on that Wassail paper...and Wreathabella is always just TOO cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Holy Smokes, this is amazing!! I LOOOOVE both of your projects. Fantastic layouts!!! :D

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I love this! I like it just how you made it. The 'days' is in white, so for me, my eyes flow from the number to the word days, then to the "until Christmas". This would be fun to make for kids for their birthday. If any are like mine, they are always saying (and I hear this at school alot too) "so many days until my birthday"

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful stuff Amy, the card is adorable!! LOVE the fun design, along with the scalloped edge and beautiful paper.

The countdown to Christmas is wonderful, I LOVE the idea and you beautiful design!!

Have a wonderful weekend I hope you are feeling better!
Jennifer :)

Cindy Haffner said...

Love both your projects, Amy. They are wonderful.

Michelle Tech said...

Cute card and I LOVE the calendar! Luckily, I have some coasters and a BIA, so hopefully today I can get some TIME! TFS.

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

These are fabulous projects! Love your sketch card, and your OCC project is just the coolest little thing. Every time I come to your blog, I wonder, why didn't I think of that? You're amazing, Amy! I've only got 1/2 a pack left of Cranberry Crisp, so I've been begrudgingly using Riding Hood Red this year, and saving the Cranberry for really important people, like myself! LOL!

Jackie Pedro said...

Both are fantastic....you just ROCK girl!

I'm heading on over to Pink Hedgehog right now!!

Have a great weekend!

pescbrico said...

I love your little calendar! I was looking at a way for my little girl to be able to know how many days left before Christmas... I may have to case you :) I love your first card too, it's stunning :)
Have a wonderful day!

Marisa said...

LOVE your card -- the DP and the joy are fabulous! The countdown calendar is great too - I liked the words the way you have them and am glad you got to try out the other way just to make sure it sat well with you :)

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fabulous project! Love the colors and the way you put the numbers and words... TFS!

Lynda Benden said...

Wow Amy, your calendar is AWESOME! You are so creative! I love the colors and all of the fun details! Your card is darling too! You do such great work!

Anonymous said...

That little crosspiece idea is awesome! I'm making a desk calendar that stands up like that and was trying to figure out a way to make just that! Thanks for the idea!!

Shirley said...

Amy, the card and the calendar are just so wonderful. How creative and cheerful too!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

You did it again! Another kickin' little project I wish I'd thought of!!! That countdown calendar is the coolest, and you know I love da Bella!

Darlene said...

How fun! I just love all of these! You just ooze talent.
Thanks for inspiring me!

Michelle said...

Wow, these are fabulous! I MUST have the new BG pack! I bought the Figgy so late last year I barely got to use it. I love your calendar, & I wasn't confused at all ~~ it looks perfect the way it is :)

Jami said...

Wow - that card is drop dead gorgeous! I love how you did the ribbons. And that is one awesome countdown calendar - you are so creative!!!
hugs, Jami

Tammi said...

Whoa! This is stunning and so gorgeous, love, love it!

Shari said...

These are both beautiful projects!!

I like the countdown calendar as you have it pictured, my eyes go the word days before the until...

Great job!

Unknown said...

Well Amy, you have totally outdone yourself once again! I am in awe of your creative ideas and the many ways you consistently treat us. Simply amazing, my friend!

Shannan Teubner said...

What totally fabulous projects, Amy! I love them both!

Nancy Riley said...

Amazing stuff, Amy! You ROCKED Jen's sketch with that super FUN Christmas card! ... AND your Christmas countdown is FANTASTIC! I don't think the words in the circle look odd at all ... keep it just the way it is.

Terri said...

Both of these are just too cute. The calendar is amazing and that Bella card is absolutely darling...the "joy" chipboard is the perfect addition!!

Unknown said...

Amy, I believe that your cards are the most amazing creations!!! I love to visit your blog. Someday I hope to be as good as you...

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Amy! These are both totally adorable! Love the colors, love the design, love it all! Thanks for sharing!

Dahlene Henrie Spencer said...

How fun! I love the card and calender they are so cute and fun to see.

reeree62 said...

You know what I love the most on this? Your resourcefulness!
As soon as I saw it, I thought, oh look how nice things come out with a Bind-it-All. LOL! Then I read the post! Cool!
So great, really Amy. I am always inspirexd by you!

KAT said...

I just love your christmas count down - really cute and it would be simple to make a bunch of them as a small gift to hand out during the holiday season!!!

Catherine said...

Amy, great take on the sketch, love your card and your Christmas count down...how adorable :)

jjcreations said...

What a fantastic project - I love it. Joan

Joan Ervin said...

OMG, Amy, your projects are fabulous!!! I love your Bella card with the Wassail paper....love how it matches the old, old, in colors....I, too, will be out of sorts when I run out of Cranberry Crisp and True Thyme!! You clalnder is gorgeous, too....love the JustRite stamp and the beautiful colors!!!

Debbie said...

What a brilliant idea Amy and I lurve the new BG papers..just yummy.

Brandi Wiggins-Côté said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You count dow calender is PERFECT! TFS!

wendyp said...

I just LOVE this! What a cute idea for a countdown calender! I think I may just have to make one.

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing your creations. The countdown calendar is terrific!

Jessie/knightrone said...

How awesome!! I love both the card and the day counter!! Fabu!!

Unknown said...

47 comments means that you're brilliant and this project rocks! LOL

Seriously, You were the Runner Up Craft of the Week at Card of the Week.com. You can see the original post here: http://www.cardoftheweek.com/2008/10/card-of-the-w-4.html.

I did use a picture from your post, with links back to the site and the original post. I hope that is OK. Please feel free to email me if you need me to change anything.

I also have an “I was featured” on badge for you if you want it :D

Jody Morrow said...

WOW! That is an AWESOME countdown calendar! OMG! I must make one. It won't be as wonderful as yours, but I'll do my best not to butcher it! LOL

BEAUTIMOUS!

Lee said...

Love your countdown calendar. Have started to make one too. Not yet complete as there are a few things I need to improve. You can take a peek at www.creativepaper.co.za Have just started blogging so I am still getting into the swing of things. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dee Tollaksen said...

I really love the countdown calendar! Perfect use for my Bind-it-all! Thanks!

Amie said...

WOW just gorgeous I am so making one of these. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration.
Amie xx

Debbie Olson said...

WOW! This is a total home run! Great colors, great use of font, creative re-purposing of materials--the whole package!

Call Me Crafty Al said...

That is fabulous - thanks for sharing!