Wednesday, February 3, 2010

MFT February Blog Hop



Welcome to the My Favorite Things February blog hop! If you've come here by way of Joanne, you're in the right place. If you've just happened by, then you'll definitely want to get caught up by starting with Kim. I'd hate for you to miss a single thing!

Tonight, we're celebrating MFT's biggest and best release ever! Among all the fantastic stamp sets is the third annual Twisted release, Twisted Threesome, a collection of sometimes snarky, sometimes a bit off-color, and always hilarious sentiments that go along with many of your favorite MFT images.

I decided to create a fun menopause-themed gag gift ensemble. For the card, I combined the toasting duo from Girls Night Out with "Welcome to Menopause," which is part of one of the Twisted Threesome sentiments. For the first time ever, I was wishing for heads on these gals, so that I could give them some gray hair. Maybe I should have added some age spots and wrinkles to their hands and necks?? (My layout is the Mojo Monday Sketch #124 turned on its side.)





The inside holds a second sentiment, "Aged Perfectly" from Girls Night Out. Such a nice way to say "old" - LOL!





Then I created a Menopause Survival Kit tin, which includes various hot flash remedies and a wearable pin for the gift recipient. Most of these ideas were gleaned from different commercially available gag gifts, but why purchase this kind of thing when it's so much more fun to make your own. Here's a look at the Survival Kit contents:

First, a "Hot Flash Hankie" - a handkerchief slipped down into a decorated glassine bag. (Yikes, did I spell hankie right?) Text is computer-generated.





Second, one of those disposable, instant cold compresses that you find in first aid kits. I wrapped it with a simple sleeve and included the sentiment "You're SO Hot," which is the first half of the "Welcome to Menopause" sentiment that I used on the card front.





Third, a water spritzer, wrapped in a band of dp and labeled "Fire Extinguisher" (text computer-generated):





And last, an "I'm SO Hot" button that the recipient can wear proudly - teehehe. I hand-cut and glittered the flames. "SO Hot" is from Twisted Threesome and the word "I'm" can be found in other MFT sets - Who's That e-Girl and Window Shopping, to name two. (The warning text is computer-generated.)





All of the survival items fit nicely into an altered tin. I used some fun MFT Adornments on the tin - Spring Glittered Garnishes along the bottom just below the blue-ish band, and Crystal Clear Swarovski Crystals on the half-label die-cut (applied with the Professional Touch HotFix Crystal Applicator).




Coloring throughout is done with Copics. Designer papers and coordinating die-cuts are from the My Mind's Eye Ooo-La-La For Him collection. Believe me, I considered the whole red hat society color scheme, but I am sooooo NOT a red and purple kind of gal - just couldn't do it! But wouldn't that be fun?


Whew! That's it for me! Your next stop on the hop is the fabulous Susan Liles! Enjoy the rest of the hop!


72 comments:

Harriet Skelly said...

Amy this set is so adorable!! I love the Twisted sentiments!

Barbara said...

Where was this when I needed it a couple of years ago, LOL! Over the top as usual, Amy! Just gorgeous and a super duper idea!!!

StampOwl said...

wow you rocked this set Amy

Dawn said...

Wow girl! I am blown away! Great work!

Christina Fischer said...

OMG!!!!! This is the best EVER!!! Fun and gorgeous at the same time, with great details! :)

Carrie's Corner said...

What a riot. I love the whole set. You did a fantastic job!

Bonnie Lynn said...

This set is perfect!! I have a co-worker that is dealing with surgical menopause. I may have to CASE this idea just for her. What a priceless idea.

veronica said...

very cute idea. hope i don't need that for a few more years.

Heather said...

I love what you did with this set! Can't wait to case this!!!

Rose Ann said...

OMgosh...this is the cutest set, Amy...and so creative!! I love everything!! (And now I need to put Twisted Threesome on my list).

Wanda Cullen said...

Amy, this is so ultra creative...and so fun!!

Chris said...

another wonderful project. You never disappoint.

Jana Weaver said...

I love it...this is hilarious!!! Great job!

scrappintlc said...

OMG! I cracked up all throughout your blog entry...I'm definitely keeping it bookmarked for future gifts. Bahahahahhaah So creative adn brilliant. Thank you for the laughs.

teneale williams said...

Great job and very funny projects. I have said it before but I just love your work.

Unknown said...

Great work.... I love this!

Thanks for Sharing!!

xoxo Ola

Country Mouse said...

What a great gift idea! So silly, yet so cute....and functional!LOL

fairie said...

Oh wow!!! Hilarious set but I LOVE it. I love what you did with everything. The colors are great, the projects are wonderful, everything goes together.

xoxo hugz

Melody said...

Funny, make you smile, and beautiful all at the same time! Your creativity amazes me!

g said...

so so funny and brilliantly done! i'm going to need one of these in another couple of years LOL!

America said...

YOU ARE A clever/brilliant crafter full of genius! This is super FUN and Funny and Fabulous and beautiful and adorable all at once. LOVE IT!!

Elaine Wilson said...

This is just too cute! What a clever idea and your packaging and work is stunning. Great job!

Robbie said...

I dont' even know where to begin! I love the way you picked out "one" of the issues of menopause...heat!! I had surgical menopause years ago and that was a major problem with me. Every item focused on flashes was absolutely adorable! I see right now I'm going to have to get this set and keep this post available. It is just sooooo darn cute!!! Great job!

Unknown said...

That is the FUNNIEST THING I have EVER seen, and its BEAUTIFUL!

Lisa H. said...

seriously,YOU are amazing! always the right mix of colors and papers! this is fabulous!

Sharon-The OKI StampQueen said...

THis is just too funny! What a great idea and job! Blessings, Sharon

Cindy Haffner said...

Amy, what fun, FABULOUS!!!

Dawn Easton said...

Ha! Love the gag gift idea! It will bring a smile to someone for sure!

Anonymous said...

Um, I hate to admit it but I need this set!!! Usually around supper time! Amazing project Amy!

Kelli Hull said...

ARE YOU SERIOUS????? LMAO

This kit TOTALLY ROCKS!!! How the heck did you get everything straight, I'd be giggling the whole time I was making it and it would be ALL CROOKED!!!!

Hankie hankey hanky??? Hmmmm... I'll go with yours! :)

Shawn Marie O'Connell said...

FANTASTIC!!!! I am totally saving this post for future reference!! What a fabulous & funny way to poke fun at a evil part of nature! haha!!

Megan said...

This is so funny!! I love it! It was executed perfectly and I love all the paper choices!

diane mcvey said...

As a woman of "that age", I would absolutely LOVE to get a gift like this! Besides cracking me up, it is just so fun and thoughtful!!! I LOVE IT! You are amazingly creative! :D

Conniecrafter said...

oh my this is just to fun and creative, my sis in law is going through this right now and would be neat for her.

Linda B (NY Card Lady) said...

Absolutely perfect! Know just the person to make this for!!! Great set!!!

Leslie Rodriguez said...

Spew!! This is so darn hilarious!! My mom's 50th bday is next week and you just gave me a great idea!

Sara Henton said...

ROFLMAO!!!! Love everything about this!! If I ever go through Menopause I so want one of these.

Jennifer Roach said...

One word: AWESOME!!

Christi Flores said...

Ack!!! This is OMG amazing!!! LOL!!!

Basement Stamper said...

OMG, this is hilarious, love it!

Kirsty said...

This is hysterical! I love it!

Kim Etherington said...

Love this gift set! The decorating of the inside of your cards are beautiful.

Erin Smetak said...

OMG, you are just too much! How do you come UP w/ this stuff??!!!! Absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!

Jessica Diedrich said...

Holy amazing cuteness.....this is AWESOME!!! I LOVE that MME paper too and am not a red/purple person either but that would def. be fun! This whole kit is genius, my friend. LOVE IT!

Laurie Marmon said...

What a fun set! Love the attention to detail in the set. Thanks for sharing.

denise said...

What an original and cute idea...and funny too...
Denise Trottier

cobby said...

What an amazing job you did! So creative. As a woman "of a certain age"...I would love to receive all these things to help me have a laugh!

Anonymous said...

amy this set is TOO much! LOVE it!
hugs
M

Anonymous said...

As Always...... FAB -U- LOUS!!!!!!! :)

Most excellent gift set!!!

jennik

Jackie said...

What a fabulous idea! I love the entire package, and you know that someone will love that! I simply love how you finished everything too, just lovely!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend going through menopause and this would be a fun gift to send her. Thanks for the great ideas
Helen

Cheryl said...

What a creative, fun gift! I love it.

Karen said...

This is very cute! I'm sure we all can relate. Great idea.

StacyC said...

Awesome project...

Vianna said...

I have to say, this is the first kit of the sort I've ever come across (gag or not), and I LOVE IT! What a great idea - you did a fabulous job. I will definitely lift this idea one day ...

Anonymous said...

I love it and can make ful use of it. It's special things for us bisexual, I will try it first for my bisexual gf known from (Bimingle . com), hopefully she will love it.

Elaine said...

The items and sentiments you put together are hilarious!

grace said...

Wow, this is just so creative.

Karen B said...

You really enjoyed making this. It shows in your style and colours and genuine desire to let us all know we can create magic with stamps. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Lawrence said...

Hahahahaaa....LOVE this! In fact, I think I NEED this! LOL You are incredible...do you know that?! Love ya! :)

Shannon Kraft said...

Oh my GOODNESS!

Priscilla said...

This is great! I love it!
Priscilla

Tracey said...

An awesome set!!

Allison said...

WHat a fabulous gift set. I should make one of these for my Mom!

Claire said...

LOL you are so funny. This is too good! Thanks for sharing and I love the stamp!!!

Dotty Jo said...

One needs a little humour when this lot strikes let me tell you!!! Jo x

Jody Morrow said...

Oh my gosh... this is brilliant! You are brilliant. What a PERFECT use for this set and I know quite a few friends I could send this to! I may have to borrow the idea sometime. You are amazing... seriously!

Nancy Jensen said...

Oh my goodness, what a great gift idea! I LOVE IT!

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Holy crappola Amy...this is flippin' fantastic! Love your take on this set...it speaks to me and made me laugh! Love the fire extinguisher and the entire survival kit concept is so perfectly executed. You are a rock star!!

Angel said...

Oh, Amy! This is TOOOOOOOOO funny. And so brilliantly put together! The next time I have a friend turning 50, I am SO using this gift idea! {{hugs}}

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

You are completely off the radar charts for best stamper on the planet. Seriously, this is AWEsome. Stunning & FUNNY. WOWOWOWOW! Thanks for the incredible inspiration!

Janelle Stollfus said...

I think I'm going to need this here in a few years. I hope this post will still be around for inspiration. LOL This is incredibly done and the menopause ticket on the card is the real kicker.