Saturday, September 12, 2015

Introducing Make It Market Mini Kit: Holiday Folk

Welcome to the first group post for Papertrey Ink's September release. This month, we are kicking off the holiday crafting season with a spectacular collection of holiday and gift-giving products. Today, in particular, we are introducing the newest Make It Market Mini Kit: Holiday Folk. Remember Wee Folk from a few months ago? Holiday Folk is the holiday version of that same charming folk art style. 

Today's featured products, along with the rest of the September release, will be available at 10 pm EST September 15 in the Papertrey Ink store.

I have two projects to share today. Both are loosely inspired by my favorite Scandinavian Christmas decorating style. I love the abundance of white and other light, neutral colors, and the uncomplicated, clean, minimalist look.


My first card is super simple, easy to re-create, and uses only the kit contents (plus ink, paper, and foam adhesive).


I started by trimming about 3/4" off the long side of a white card-size panel. Along the right side, I've created a subtle border by repeatedly stamping the sentiment in Soft Stone ink along with a tiny divider image in Aqua Mist. I adhered a tiny strip of Soft Stone Stripe patterned paper along that edge as well. Next I tied on some of the nice, thick rustic green twine from the kit. 



Like the previous Make It Market mini kits, Holiday Folk includes both some die-cut-ready printed papers, along with the same images in stamp form. For super quick crafting, die-cut the printed papers, but for mass production, it's fantastic to be able to stamp similar images. In the lower right, I've created a focal point using two pre-printed die-cuts.

Holiday Folk also includes an assortment of beautiful holiday patterned paper. On this card, I added just a tiny strip of the red star pattern to the right side of a card base before adding my main panel. Wood veneer stars are included in the kit, too, and they add a wonderful, natural, rustic touch to the Holiday Folk imagery.


STAMPS: Holiday Folk
DIES: Holiday Folk
INK: Soft Stone, Aqua Mist
PAPER: white card stock, Holiday Folk patterned paper
OTHER: heavy green twine, wood veneer stars (both from the kit), foam adhesive




My next card features the same, clean look and lots of white space as the first card, but with a few extra crafty touches.


For this card, I began with a light watercolor wash in Aqua Mist on watercolor paper. I laid out all of my Holiday Folk pre-printed die-cuts, then lightly marked where my ornaments and branches would go. I machine stitched some lines to "hang" my ornaments from, erased the markings, and adhered the ornaments and branches back in their places.

The sentiment is from the new Christmas Cheer set. I'm in love with the big, scripty font! I layered three of the holiday word die-cuts for extra thickness, then added some glitter to the top using heat and stick powder and clear glitter. Other ways to create the glittery look: stickles, Glossy Accents sprinkled with glitter, or even a clear Wink of Stella for a more subtle shimmer.

The word "greetings" is stamped in Pinefeather, trimmed down, and popped up with foam tape. Last,  I added the two cardinal pre-printed die-cuts and a few of those favorite wood veneer stars. The whole panel is mounted onto a white card base with a narrow strip of on of the Holiday Folk papers along the left.


STAMPS: Holiday Folk, Christmas Cheer
DIES: Holiday Folk, Christmas Cheer
INK: Aqua Mist, Pinefeather
PAPER: white card stock, watercolor paper, Holiday Folk patterned paper
OTHER: wood veneer stars (included in the kit), heat and stick powder, clear glitter, liquid glue, sewing machine



Holiday Folk is such a darling kit, and those woodland creatures have quite a way of charming themselves right into your heart!

Visit the Papertrey team for lots more kit inspiration:


21 comments:

jan metcalf said...

Your cards are charming!

Betty Sue said...

I love your soft colors! Beautiful!!

Cindy H. said...

Beautiful cards, Amy! I especially love the stamped border on card #1, the color wash, sewing, and sparkle on card #2.

Joyously Noelle said...

What a lovely set of cards!

bailey19 said...

Love the soft colors!!!!! Wonderful new ideas!

Diana K said...

So pretty, Amy. Love the little gathering of elements on your second card.

Anonymous said...

I would be so delighted to receive either of those cards for Christmas. They're both so elegant. The images are so Scandinavian in feel.

Kathy Krug said...

Beautiful CAS designs.

MelissaF said...

Beautiful cards, love the white space and soft stone stamping in background of first card. The wTercolor wash on second card is a great soft background for your stunning images. Love the stitching details too.

Jill Norwood said...

Beautiful cards!!!!!

Brithzi said...

Lovely, absolutely lovely.

TYJ419 said...

Beautiful cards! I tend to be a simple and clean line card maker so loving these cards.
Tracey

LisaBee17 said...

I am in love with your cards and this kit!!

Holly Saveur said...

Gorgeous!

Kay Miller said...

Oh Amy these are some of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen!! You did a gorgeous job with this kit!

Joan B said...

absolutely stunning. that first card just took away my breath!

María Alba Negrón said...

Hi Amy,

Leave it to you to give this kit the justice it deserves! Your cards are so heart warming!!!

Cariños,
María Alba

Natalie Winterstein said...

Beautiful! Love your cards!

DIANA L. said...

sweet card very folksy. Thank you for the inspiation

NatQuebec said...

Ohh it's so nice !! Love that classicisme look ! Look forward to Sept 15 !

Leigh Penner said...

I love your cards, Amy! I'm getting this kit.