Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Autumn Style

Welcome to the first group post for Papertrey's August release. This release is filled with all sorts of autumn elements, which I'm beyond thrilled about, as it's my favorite season, both in general and for crafting. Today, we are featuring a unique brushstroke stamp set called Brushed Off, along with two beautiful foliage dies, Branching Out and Leaf Silhouettes.

Today's featured products, along with the rest of the August release, will be available at 10 pm EST August 15 in the Papertrey Ink store.

I had so much fun with today's projects! There's no single "right" way to use the Brushed Off images, which opens all kinds of doors for creative stamping. 


For my first card, I created a polka dot background by first stamping the partial circle brushstroke in one color, then rotating the stamp 180 degrees and stamping a second color right on top. The combos I used were: Raspberry Fizz with Summer Sunrise, Spring Moss with Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening with Plum Pudding, and Canyon Clay with Pure Poppy. 

In keeping with the artsy look of the brushstrokes, I doodled a black circle around each polka dot. Loved that look so much (it reminds me of the super cool doodling that Ashley did HERE) that I added some more polka dots using a small scribble circle from the Circle Scribbles stamp set as well as some black splatter. The finishing touch was a pattern of luxe gold adhesive Leaf Silhouette die-cuts. I know, it's kind of busy, but I like it!


To keep the focus on that crazy background, I opted to downplay the sentiment. I stamped a sentiment from Scripted onto a scrap of Fresh Snow Linen cardstock, notched one end to make a banner, and stitched the other end to the card base.

STAMPS: Brushed Off, Circle Scribbles, Scripted
DIES: Leaf Silhouettes
INK: True Black, Raspberry Fizz, Summer Sunrise, Spring Moss, Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening, Plum Pudding, Canyon Clay, Pure Poppy
PAPER: white card stock, Fresh Snow Linen card stock, Luxe Gold Adhesive Sheets
OTHER: Heidi Swapp Black Velvet Color Shine




For this next card, I stamped the narrow rectangle brushstroke image in different shades of oranges and yellow to create kind of an ombre effect. I varied the horizontal placement of the image each time for a more irregular look to the stroke lengths. 


To get the gilded look, I used a stamp positioner to stamp a second impression of each brushstroke, this time just dabbing a bit of VersaMark ink to the tips of the brushstrokes and then heat embossing in gold. I think the touch of gold just gives the whole background a little more shazam. I also flicked on some water droplets over the stamped brushstrokes (and sort of wish I hadn't).

I have a feeling Branching Out is going to become a go-to die very quickly. I love the large size and full branches, and I also love that you can easily trim off a branch or two to reduce the size, or even trim off a branch to use by itself.  Originally I was planning to stamp a sentiment in the bottom right area of the card base, so I trimmed off the lower right branch to make room. (I changed my mind on the sentiment, but kept the altered die-cut, thus the missing branch.) 

The die-cut "you" was cut with a Scripted die, then coated with Glossy Accents for some shine. The stamped portion of the sentiment was done with the Scripted stamp set. 

STAMPS: Brushed Off, Scripted
DIES: Branching Out, Scripted
INK: Summer Sunrise, Terracotta Tile, Canyon Clay, Orange Zest, True Black, VersaMark
PAPER: white, True Black, and Simply Chartreuse card stock
OTHER: gold embossing powder, gold sequins, Glossy Accents, foam adhesive, stamp positioner



For lots more Autumn Style inspiration, visit the design team blogs. I can't wait to see all the different takes on Brushed Off


Thanks for visiting,

33 comments:

Kathie B said...

Your cards are just stunning!

merryf said...

these are breathtaking! I especially love the first one. And thanks to you both of these sets are going in my cart!

Holly Saveur said...

Gorgeous cards!

Kathy said...

The gold touches make these cards sing of Autumn! Love how you've used the Brushed stamps and the dual colors!

Donna Cala said...

Gorgeous! I love all the elements you used. Even though autumnal colors are not normally colors I love, I am completely drawn to your gorgeous cards.

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Both are beautiful cards but the second one is stunning!
Thank you for sharing
Susan

Diana K said...

Wow! That's all.

Betty Sue said...

Your cards are gorgeous!!

Gina said...

Amy, ohmawerd!!! These cards?! Oh. They are fantastic!!!!!!! I am so excited about Brushed Off and you've totally inspired me!! Amazing!

Susanne Vargas said...

Oh my! Two absolutely gorgeous cards! I am blown away!

Kay Miller said...

So beautiful Amy!! Both of your cards are stunning!

Betty McDougal said...

Great cards.

Luvpurple said...

Amy, that first card is amazing. Well, they all are, but I think you enabled some older stamps into my cart! Amazing!

Nancy Penir said...

Loving the inspiration from you today! A couple of techniques I can't wait to try. Thank you for always 'bringin' it'!

Mary W said...

Great idea to use two colors on the brushed off set. Thanks for such wonderful inspiration.

Leigh Penner said...

Fabulous cards, Amy! I know I will be adding Brushed Off to my cart on Saturday for sure!

Greta said...

Wow--these are wonderful! I already thought I'd love Brushed Off, but now I know I do!

Kathy Mc said...

Both cards are awesome, Amy, but I especially love what you did on your second card. Gold embossing the ends of Brushed Off looks fabulous...can't wait to try it.

Nora Noll said...

What STUNNING cards!!! I love the brush of gold on the second card!!!

MTPatB said...

The gilded edges of the brush strokes was pure genius. I really love that look. Such a pretty fall card. The circle background is fun too.

Larissa Heskett said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!! AMAZING Cards!! =) I LOVE the Designs and the Layers!! Have a Fabulous Week!! =)

Kathy Krug said...

Amy both cards are amazing, but I love the bit of gold embossing. Fabulous.

María Alba Negrón said...

Hi Amy,

Breathtaking work....as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cariños,
María Alba

TamiBabs said...

Your gilded Brushed Off card is beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Awesome backgrounds! Very cool looks, will have to try those.

Зоя said...

Amazing!

Brithzi said...

Fantastic cards! Love the orange and yellow brush strokes with the gilded look-that card is stunning.

Leslie S. said...

Oh my! Love these cards & love the gold! Both stamp sets will go on my Have To Have list...

Camerageek said...

OMG the gilded edges are to die for !

Jill Norwood said...

Both cards are so wonderful! I love the leaves over the polka dots! And I love the gold gilding to the brush strokes on the second card! So clever! Such unique and fun new products.

Wanda Cullen said...

Wow, I'm so in awe of this creative card! Love the touch of gold!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Love both, but the funky first one is my fave!!!! Love!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the gilded brush strokes.