Friday, November 12, 2010

A Day in the Country

"A day in the country soothes the soul" -- I couldn't agree with this sentiment more! It's from JustRite's A Day in the Country cling set. I just love the Fall images in this set, and before I get too lost in holiday card- and gift-making, these images needed just a little more ink!

I love the old farms with their big red barns and silos - reminds me so much of my childhood home town. Even today, I can look out my window and see three different barns and silos, two of them still operational. There's just something so pure and primal about tending the land and sustainability (well, okay, maybe not always -- don't even get me started on chemical fertilizers and all the genetic modifications in our food supply!)

I digress. As I said, this old barn and silo image is part of JustRite's A Day in the Country. I did my coloring with Prismacolor pencils. The papers are from Webster's Pages Wonderfall/Hollywood Vogue 6x6 combo paper pack. I haven't taken the time to separate this pack into the two different collections, so I'm not always sure which collection I'm pulling from, but I'm pretty certain the blue background pattern is from Hollywood Vogue. How's that for irony? A Hollywood Vogue background for my big red barn. Just goes to show the range and interchangeability of the Webster's Pages papers! I sanded and distressed the edges for a more aged, worn feel. Seam binding, buttons, trim and twine add to the homespun feel.

Next up is another card using both A Day in the Country and Webster's Pages papers. This time I tried something a little different for me -- I stamped the image in a taupe color and did not color it.

 
I know - way different for me! I've been seeing a similar look occasionally around blogland, where an image I would normally think to color has not been colored, and it's kinda refreshing! I love to color too much to make a habit of it, though {wink}. The sentiment is from JustRite's Nature's Nested Sentiments. The little red piece at the top of the image was cut out of a Spellbinders Fleur de Lis Pendant die-cut. There's a paper doily in the back, a torn edge on the striped strip, crinkled seam binding topped with a Webster's Pages Sparkler, and some stitching around the perimeter. My new favorite border punch, Martha Stewart's Quilted border gives the bottom a little extra somethin'.

That's it for me today! Thanks so much for stopping by!


9 comments:

Mary Duffek said...

Both cards are fabulous! But I love the second card....How the focal image is a lighter color and then the "pop" of the sentiment along with the fab...crinkle ribbon along with a doily...Love all the fun details!

Cheryl Valadez said...

Amy, both cards are stunning! I'll have to give that second one a try, though. I love the subtleness of the image and how the sentiment becomes the focal point. Wonderful!

ellepaulette said...

I just love your cards. They are so perfect they make me want to cry!!!! :)

Oliwiaen said...

I just can't decide which one I like more! Both are so perfect!

Unknown said...

Amy, both cards are simply gorgeous! Of course, I like the first one because of those gorgeous colors you used and that perfect coloring on the image. But I like the design and feel of the second one as well. Awesome job, my friend!

.:♥Marit Pettinga-Meijer♥:. said...

These are both gorgeous! I love your eye for detail!!! Just Stunning!!!
Hugs, Marit.

Shantaie said...

WOW This is beautiful! really stunning, I love every detail including the lack of color :)

Kathy Martin said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Conniecrafter said...

Excellent coloring on the barn card, like the distessing!
I am thinking about doing some of my christmas cards like the second, save me a little time on coloring, we'll see!