Thursday, November 12, 2015

Crazy for Christmas - Photo Memory Ornament


Hello and welcome to the third and final day of Reverse Confetti's Crazy for Christmas project showcase. The Day One theme was Ready to Party. On Day Two, we tackled Gift Giving. Today it's Memory Keeping.



Every year, up until last year, I've purchased photo ornaments for my kids. I love how our "memory tree" shows the growth of the kids over the years. Last year, for the first time (that I can remember, anyway), I made my own photo ornaments. I liked them so much that I decided to make my own again this year! But I've added a little twist -- on the inside is a little booklet of sorts, where I can record highlights from the year. 


I've used the Folded Tag for the basic construction. On the outside of the tag I have a metal-rimmed key tag (long-time crafters will remember when they were *the* embellishment! I still love 'em!), which I've used to frame my oldest son's picture. Behind that is a banner strip showing the year, which I stamped with numbers from Alphabetical. And behind that is a small wreath from the Wreaths die set. I used a Hang Ups die-cut to create a loop for a decorative ornament hanger.


On the inside is a little booklet. Here's how I made that:
1. Die-cut two (or more) Folded Tags out of white card stock (the thinner, cheaper stuff works best here)
2. Fold each tag along the perforated line.
3. Lay the smaller rectangle frame piece from the Folded Tags set onto one of your white folded tags. Make sure the perforated fold is just inside one the frame die's long sides ( you don't want to cut that perforated fold).
4. Remove from die and repeat with the additional tag/s. Voila -- booklet pages!
5. Stack the booklet pages and fold them back up to form the booklet.



Originally I was planning to machine-stitch along the perforated fold to keep the pages together and then just glue/tape the front and back to the inside of the ornament/tag. But then I had this idea to use little jump rings as binder rings. I had been wanting to add jingle bells to the bottom anyway, so the jump rings ended up working double-duty. I simply punched three 1/16" holes through all of the layers just above the fold, threaded a jump ring through each one, and added a jingle bell before closing up each jump ring. It worked out perfectly!

I've asked my kids to give me their top 5 most memorable things about 2015 to record in the booklet. I might also have them include their signature so I can have a little piece of their handwriting in there. The ornament still folds and clasps with no trouble, so I think there's plenty of room for a couple/few more pages, too. I'm excited that I'll have more than just their pictures this year!



Stamps: Alphabetical

Confetti Cuts dies: Hang UpsWreathsFolded Tag

Paper: light gray, dark gray, red, and white card stock; green patterned paper

Other: jingle bells, jump rings, wood veneer stars, metal-rimmed tag, decorative ornament hanger

  

 




Thanks so much for stopping by today! Be sure to visit the following Confetti Crew members for more Memory Keeping inspiration:



6 comments:

Julia Aston said...

what a great design and wonderful keepsake for your tree Amy!

~amy~ said...

Absolutely wonderful and fabulous!

Stacey Schafer said...

Wow! Love the attached bells on this fabulous memory keeper, Amy!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is wonderful, Amy! What a fabulous idea!

Lisa H. said...

Ooooo, love this idea. Your little booklet and ornament is wonderful and such sweet details.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea Amy! Thanks so much for the inspiration :-)