Friday, December 8, 2017

Papertrey Ink Traveler's Journal: Covers



It's Traveler's Journal day over on the Papertrey Ink blog! In this month's feature, we are looking at different materials you can use for your covers.






The Traveler's Journal: Outer Cover die set is perfectly sized to hold three of the Traveler's Journal: Page Blanks booklets, and the die will cut through many different materials. Previously, I've made outer covers from Papertrey's felt and from canvas. Today I'm sharing how I put together a cover with a fabric exterior and felt interior.





Here's a little how-to:


First, I die-cut some fun foam using the Traveler's Journal: Outer Cover die.



Next I picked out a pretty plaid fabric ...



... and cut a rectangle a bit larger than the fun foam diecut.



I wrapped the fabric around the fun foam and adhered (temporarily) with my ATG gun.



Then I machine stitched the perimeter. 



Next, I die-cut a felt outer cover, again using the Traveler's Journal: Outer Cover. and glued that to the inside using fabric glue. (You could also machine-stitch all three together at once.)



Using the holes in the red felt diecut as a guide, I punched holes all the way through the plaid fabric. Next, I used large eyelets to reinforce those holes.



I used an eyelet setter and hammer from my stash. Remember those?



The eyelets give the notebook such a nice, finished look don't you think?



Here you can see the spine with all the elastics in place. One piece of elastic holds the notebooks and the other piece works as the notebook closure.



I added a felt snowflake embellishment to the closure elastic. The red and white baker's twine goes down through the button and snowflake, around the elastic, and back up through the snowflake and button, tying off in a bow. This holds the snowflake onto the elastic, but allows it to slide, too. (I hope that makes sense!)

The snowflake was cut using the Snowfall Style I die. I cut one from Vintage Cream felt and one from white card stock, then glued them together to give the felt more stability.


Aside from the plaid being a little crooked on the back (be careful when using plaids and/or stripes!), I'm loving this fabric cover and can't wait to make more in different patterns and colors!

For more Traveler's Journal inspiration, be sure to visit the Papertrey Ink blog. 

Thanks for visiting!


5 comments:

Tracy said...

Omg Amy- LOVE!

Anonymous said...

Love the plaid and felt together. My granddaughters and their friends enjoy receiving these for their soccer and dance memories. Now I can make some new covers!

jan metcalf said...

WOW! Gorgeous!

Susi said...

I don't use Journals in my day-to-day life, but if I had one as pretty as this one, Amy, I'd definitely consider it! Gorgeous job.

Melissa said...

So stunning! I love this combination! Thank you for sharing with us!