Sunday, June 12, 2016

A Need For Speed


Papertrey's June release countdown is underway! This month's collection has so much variety -- cars and trucks, beautiful florals, modern and graphic, plus some new die sets that I am positively squealing over, not to mention the lovey new Pale Peony color! If you haven't been following along with the peeks so far, visit Nichole's blog to get caught up. 

Today is our first group post for June, and we are introducing some adorable transportation-themed products: Need for Speed by Erin Lincoln, Road Signed and Road Signed Numbers by Nichole Heady, and a Stitched Car and Stitched Truck, also by Erin. 

All of the new products will be available at 10 pm ET on June 15 in the Papertrey Ink store.



The car and truck stitching dies are so adorable and so well thought-out! I used the Stitched Truck die to make an ornament for my husband. We've been exchanging ornaments every Christmas since the beginning of our marriage. I try to make or find ornaments that are personal, and this one will be perfect, since he loves to coach baseball and hauls all of the team equipment in the back of his truck. The baseball isn't part of the set, just something I made from circle dies. I love the idea of putting other stitched elements in the back of the pick-up -- hearts, birthday candles, anything really!

At the top of the truck cab, I stitched in a loop of Smokey Shadow Saddle Stitched ribbon to use as a hanging loop. This loop could work for ornaments, keychains, backpack tags, gift tags, and more!

To make the baseball, I cut a white Stitched Circle, then used a Stitched Circles: Holes die to add the curved lines for the red stitching. Easy to do, just lay the holes-only die on the Stitched Circle die-cut, offsetting to the left and right.


SuppliesStitched Circle dies, Stitched Circles: Holes dies, 
Hawaiian Shores, Smokey Shadow, True Black, and Lemon Zest felt
white, gray, and red embroidery floss
Smokey Shadow Saddle Stitch ribbon




Next up is Need for Speed and the On the Road die. These cars are so cute! I'm especially impressed with how well the car designs work for men and boys of all ages -- not too grown-up for the little ones, but sleek enough for the teens and men. 

I layered a stamped and die-cut Need for Speed car onto an On the Road Soft Stone die-cut. The road lines are cut so that you can back with another color for the stripes, or inlay another color for the stripes. And the stamped tire tracks are such a fun touch!

The overhead perspective on the cars is fun and unique. I wasn't sure if I'd like it combined with scene elements, but I did. The curvy green hill piece was cut with the Sentiment Splits: Horizontal Curve die, the city skyline is from Zappy Birthday, and the background is the Cover Plate: Blue Skies die.


I stamped the Need for Speed sentiment in two parts and popped it up for dimension.


Another look at that car. So fun!


Stamps: Need for Speed

Dies: Need for Speed, On the Road, Sentiment Splits: Horizontal Curve

Ink: Green Parakeet, Aqua Mist, New Leaf, Smokey Shadow

Paper: white, Soft Stone, Smokey Shadow, Green Parakeet, and Aqua Mist card stock; 
Black and White All Over paper collection

Other: foam adhesive




For more Need for Speed inspiration, visit the Papertrey team:



Thanks for visiting today!



12 comments:

nancy said...

At first glance, the truck looked like a key fob, which was a cute idea. After reading the story behind the truck, I just fell in love with what you did. That is a perfect ornament made even more special because it was stitched with love. The card is great, too!

Leslie S. said...

Oh my Amy the ornament and card are awesome!

Diana K said...

Fabulous card, Amy! You rocked the new sets.

Nancy Penir said...

Amy, these are gems! Both the card and the ornament are going in my pinterest files. How sweet that you're husband and you exchange ornies at Christmas!

Unknown said...

Both of your projects are amazing, but my fave is he card.

Kathy Mc said...

Amy, your specially-made ornament for your baseball coaching husband is dynamite. And, your card design and color combo are fabulous!

Linda said...

I love how you always incorporate your own touches and existing items with the new release items. Great card and wonderful stitching on the truck. Absolute gems!

Sandy M said...

Finally a lot of masculine projects. These cars are awesome. I love your idea with the baseball for the ornament.

María Alba Negrón said...

Hi Amy,

Thanks to Erin and your talent I will be having less headaches when I make masculine cards. Those two pieces are A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.!!! I am so glad your art and inspiration is doing wonders for PTI, Nichole is a lucky gal!

Cariños,
María Alba

bailey19 said...

These ideas are fantastic

Holly Saveur said...

LOVE IT!! Both!

Lisaerica said...

So sweet Amy! Great city scene and colors. I love your tradition, my mom started that for me as a little girl and continued till her passing. I in turn started that for my son, he's got quite the collection at 13 already and I have found memories of my mom every Christmas when I pull them out to decorate the tree. Thanks for sharing.