Saturday, August 29, 2015

SAF 2015: Patterns Challenge

Stamp-a-faire is off and running! The first challenge, a Bridal Challenge, has been posted, and now it's time for our second challenge, the Patterns Challenge. Each of the Papertrey designers will be featuring a Go-To Card Pattern, along with some samples. Your challenge is to create a card based on any one of these patterns. I'm excited to see everyone's creations!

I'm working with Pattern Number 11 based on this gorgeous card by Nichole


I'm not usually a super technique-y person, so the opportunity to experiment within that masked off area was a challenge I was excited to take on.



On this first card, I did some ombre ink blending on the background using Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores, and Tropical Teal. Before removing the masking tape, I added some black splatter, white splatter, and plain water splatter.


For the sentiment, I combined a Scripted die-cut with a Scripted stamped sentiment. The white die-cut is from the new Leaf Silhouettes die set.

Stamps: Scripted

Dies: Scripted, Leaf Silhouettes

Ink: Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal, Smokey Shadow

Paper: Stamper's Select white card stock, Smokey Shadow card stock

Other: black mist, white mist, clear sequins, ink blending too, Post-It masking tape





For this next card, I experimented with some stenciling. I created a stencil by die-cutting Branching Out from card stock and using the negative as the stencil. I did the stenciling in layers -- first I sponged some leaves in Spring Moss, moving the stencil around to get good leaf coverage top to bottom. I then lightly sponged around the perimeter in Spring Moss (so that the strip would stand out agains the white card base). Next, I added some sponged leaves in Simply Chartreuse. Last, I added the darker leaves in Ripe Avocado.


For the sentiment, I combined a thanks die-cut from the Wet Paint Cuts die set, along with a white embossed stamped sentiment from the Wet Paint stamp set.

I accented with white butterfly die-cuts (from the Flower Favorites die set) and a clear sequin trio.


Stamps: Wet Paint

Dies: Wet Paint Cuts, Flower Favorites, Branching Out

Ink: Spring Moss, Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening, VersaMark

Paper: Stamper's Select white, Enchanted Evening, and Ripe Avocado card stock

Other: white linen thread, clear sequins, white embossing powder, heat tool, foam tape adhesive, sponge daubers, ink blending tool




Have fun with these patterns! The Patterns Challenge link-up is on Nichole's blog. For lots more pattern inspiration, visit the Papertrey team:




7 comments:

Marybeth said...

Gorgeous cards Amy!

Anonymous said...

they look so simple but actually contain many elements and look very elegant.

Kathy said...

Both are gorgeous - love the greens and aqua so you used in the design strip.

SueB said...

great cards and explanation of the techniques used; thanx for the inspiration!

Leigh Penner said...

These are both so gorgeous!

Bonnie said...

Amy, gorgeous, gorgeous design!! I really love <3 the impact that first card makes! I also love your use of layering shades with the ink blending on the leaves of your second card! Wow!

artful-notions said...

Can't wait to try this, Amy. Beautiful cards, and thanks for all steps.