Friday, August 28, 2009

JustRite Week - Day Five



It's Day Five of JustRite Week at Stamper's Dream. Hope you've had a chance to follow along with all the gorgeous projects this week! Today, Cammie, Kimberly, and Michelle are also sharing JustRite projects.

I thought it would be fun to use the "Let It Snow" oval border and center from Christmas Joy as the letter "O" in the word "snow." The other letters are from my chipboard stash. The patterned papers are all from the Merry Days of Christmas Paper & Accessories Kit by My Mind's Eye.

Here's a tip you may find helpful. When I was die-cutting the oval center with my oval Nestabilities, I couldn't be sure the image was perfectly centered under the die. See below how the die covers the perimeter of the stamped image?



Here's what I did. I took a larger oval die (one large enough that the smaller die would fit inside) and centered it around the image. Since its opening is larger, I could see the full image and therefore center it.



Then I centered the smaller die within the larger die and ran it through my die-cutting machine.



Anybody have other ways to do this?

Thanks for visiting! See you tomorrow for a fun Sketch For You To Try!



Stamps: Christmas Joy (JustRite Stamps)
Paper: Merry Days of Christmas Paper & Accessories Kit (My Mind's Eye); Vintage Cream card stock (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: Bashful Blue and Cranberry Crisp (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: chipboard letters (My Mind's Eye), snowflake punch (Martha Stewart) Angel Wings Shimmerz, Classic Oval, Scalloped Oval, Labels One, and Deckled Mega Rectangle Nestabilities (Spellbinders), Pretties Kit and ivory organdy ribbon (Stampin' Up!), Bliss pearls (Kaiser Craft), Christmas Red Stickles (Ranger), sewing machine, foam adhesive
Size: 5 1/2" square

33 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Too lovely for words! Could you use something like a coluzal to get that shape? Your trick was really clever, Jo x

lisa808 said...

Love the way you used the oval JRS. Very nice card.

Dawn Easton said...

Gorgeous, Amy! Thanks for the tip too!

Denise Marzec said...

Gorgeous card!! I just ordered this MME paper too...it's SOO pretty! Awesome tip on lining up the nesties too..I'll have to try that! :)

Shauna K said...

WOW! this card is simply beautiful! and that's such a great way to use the nesties! I always struggled with *hoping* it was centered hehe. thanks for the tip ;)

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning! LOVE the oval with the chipboard, the dp, and all the other extra special details. And what a great tip about lining up the Nesties! Thanks, my friend!

Silke Ledlow said...

Amy - this is a gorgeous card for the holidays...love that you added some chipboards and of course the JR looks perfect with it!!! Your design rocks!!! Hugs ~S~

Kimberly Crawford said...

Gorgeous and SO clever!!!

Tina said...

Wow! Gorgeous card. Absolutely love it! TFS.

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Oh my is this ever clever, beautiful and charming Amy!! LOVE the JR image as the "O"! All the details are fabulous!! Fantastic idea on how to line the nesties up too!!

Niki Estes said...

I absolutely love this, Amy! Great colors, papers, and I love the chipboard with the sentiment as the O. So cute!

Judy Miller said...

Great card as always. Thanks for sharing the tip for the Nesties. I will be using it.

Jody Morrow said...

Oh WOW! GOREGOUS!

Debbie Olson said...

Amy, you ROCK! This is SO beautiful!!

Terri said...

I was just struggling with this last night and I finally gave up because my first two atttempts didn't work. i will give this a try. Thanks! I love your cards - they are beautiful.

Dawn B. said...

Great idea Amy. I love the snow spelled out like that with the nestie oval. The layers are excellent. I always just guess..and hope it is right.LOL. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Your card is stunning!!!

Maureen said...

Oh, wow!! What a great idea for centering!! I had the same problem last week, but just eyeballed it...this would be so much easier! Thanks! Oh, and, as always...the card is divine...I love all your gorgeous details :)

June Houck said...

Oooo! Love your oval for an "o"!!! Gorgeous card, as ever :)

Cazzy said...

That is clever word play Amy, lovely card and thanks for the cutting tip.

Cazzy x

Linda Carson said...

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Amy! I love everything about this sweet card!
--Hugs Becca

Scrappin Cheryl said...

Clever trick - much easier to see if it's close to the center - Thanks!

Barbara said...

It won't be long and s-n-o-w will be more than pretty letters on a fabulous card! I love the colors you used and the medallion for the O looks perfect.

Barb

Jackie Pedro said...

This is so fantastic, Amy! LOVE that dp how you used the Oval for the O in Snow....

Angella D. Crockett said...

Awesome card, Amy! Thanks for the Nestie tip too! I really miss you over at ODBD! Hope all is well with you and your family! God Bless!

Unknown said...

Beautiful original and Oh so cleverly done Amy!
Thanks for the tip on centering too, now why can I never think of anything clever!! LOL
Hugs Viv xxx

Lou said...

Beautiful and clever card!

Deb (dcorder) said...

Thanks for the tip! I always just eye-ball the placement of the dies. I feel like this is a real DUH! moment for me. :D

Conniecrafter said...

Love your image for the "O" and like your idea for lining up the oval, I have always just eyeballed it and hoped for the best, tfs!

CIndy Major said...

Hi, Amy

That cutting tip is very clever!!! I usually die-cut first and stamp with the Stamp-a-Ma-Jig afterwards to go around that problem, but this is a great way to center your image in the die! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Cindy :)

Vanessa Middleton said...

This card is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kristin Moore said...

I am happy to say that I am the proud new owner of this Amy original! Thanks for much for thinking of me at Christmas time! I noticed it cost over $1 to send this... you must have spent a fortune sending out cards! Thanks again- I'll display it proudly! Hugs and Happy New Year!