Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Hills Series Revisited

Happy New Year, friends! Wishing each of you the very best for 2017!

Today the Papertrey Ink Senior Design team is sharing its monthly Revisited feature, and the focus is on The Hills Series (Winter HillsSpring Hills, Summer Hills, and Autumn Hills). The Revisited feature is a chance to give some new love to an older set or sets. I'm excited to participate with the senior designers this month, and since all four sets were released before I joined the Papertrey team, they're all brand-new to me! 

The Hills sets are each so charming, and both the images and sentiments have a sweet, folk art look and feel. I chose to work with Winter Hills and Spring Hills.


For my first project, I've given Winter Hills a fresh look by placing the house on a trendy watercolored background. I did my watercoloring with Papertrey re-inkers in a loose fashion, then added some Enchanted Evening splatter as well as some opaque white splatter.



I colored the house with Copics, fussy cut it, and popped it up with foam tape. The snowflakes, all from What the Doodle: Snowflake, work nicely with the line art images in Winter Hills. I white embossed them on vellum, which gives the scene a frosty look. A liberal sprinkling of silver sequins adds some sparkle for that finishing touch.


Stamps: Winter Hills; What the Doodle: Snowflake

Dies: What the Doodle: Snowflake

Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Versafine Onyx Black; Versamark; Papertrey Spring Rain, Enchanted Evening, Dark Indigo, Lilac Grace, and Amethyst Allure

Paper: watercolor paper; Stamper's Select White, Dark Indigo, and vellum card stock

Other: white embossing powder, silver sequins, fun foam, foam adhesive




My next project features Spring Hills. This time, I wanted to stay true to the homespun charm of the folk art imagery, while incorporating some of today's trends (watercoloring, ink blending, and background stamping).



Nothing beats the rustic warmth of kraft card stock! One of the first stamping "techniques" I ever learned was to use the focal image to cover a background. I'm loving the come-back that technique is having currently. Here, I've repeatedly stamped the focal image in white all over the background. I think the block look of this particular image hints at quilt blocks, which contributes to the overall homespun feel.

My focal image is watercolored with Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. Behind the focal image are some ink blended Branching Out branches, as well as a pair of flowers I retrieved from my spare parts bin. These are both from Paper Clippings: Done In Love.


Stamps: Spring Hills; Paper Clippings: Done In Love

Dies: Branching Out; Paper Clippings: Done In Love

Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Papertrey Fresh Snow, Hibiscus Burst, and Pure Poppy

Paper: watercolor paper; Stamper's Select White, Classic Kraft, and vellum card stock

Other: True Black baker's twine, ink blending tools and foam, Zig Clean Color Real Brush watercolor markers



I've enjoyed the opportunity to create with these charming sets! 
Be sure to visit the following designers for more inspiration featuring The Hills Series:


Thanks for visiting!


12 comments:

Lisa Lara said...

Gorgeous cards Amy. I just love your winter wonderland.

Connie G said...

These are both so beautiful I just had to compliment you on your creativity and execution!! Wowza!

Dishtowel Dame said...

Beautiful cards! I have this stamp set, but now I am going to have to get the dies for the snowflakes, too! Great use of watercolor background!

Amyjzs said...

These cards are simply gorgeous!

Cindy H. said...

Amy, these are both so gorgeous! Love them!

Anonymous said...

Such gorgeous cards!
A very happy 2017 and all my very best wishes....

TK said...

Two beautiful cards with their own personalities shining through!

Susi said...

These are both lovely cards, Amy - all the best to you & yours for the New Year!

Kathy Mc said...

How exciting to see you creating with the Senior DT this month! Can see why, Amy, because your cards are just lovely. Now I want those stamp sets, too. Always enjoy your blog posts. You're well versed at writing, which I truly appreciate. Happy New Year to you and your family!

TLady said...

WOW, AMY! I LOOOOOVE BOTH of your cards! BOTH ARE TOTALLY STUNNING with the Water Coloring & just the way you did them!!! STUNNING! ;)

Jill Norwood said...

I love the Hills series stamps and both of your beautiful cards!

Ohhh Snap said...

These cards are simply stunning!