Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Citrus Thanks


A fun, citrus-y card to share today using various Reverse Confetti stamps and dies plus Pink Paislee's Citrus Bliss collection.



 It was a play day in the studio (aren't they all? I just mean I had no specific agenda or to-do), so I did a quick search of some of my favorite challenges, and landed on Jen Shults's Deconstructed Sketch #201, which looks like this:



I started with a large green frame that I die-cut using the largest two nested squares in the Shakers 'n Frames Confetti Cuts die set. Behind that I layered a text print pattern and some vellum.




In the bottom right corner of the frame, I added some different elements: two pieces of stamped fruit using images from Fresh 'N Fruity, two flags die-cut with the Stitched Flag Trio Confetti Cuts die set, and a Fancy Words die-cut sentiment.



I embellished the top part of the frame with a combination of banner die-cuts using the Star Garland and Double Banner Garland Confetti Cuts dies.



For the background panel, I spritzed three different colors of mist and/or paint (green, gold and pink), then used an air tool with a black marker to add some faint black speckle.

Honest question for you:
I had fun making this. I wanted to get a little artsy and messy with the splattered background and the distressed and folded edges. I like how everything turned out, BUT, this isn't a card I would give to just anyone. I think sometimes we (meaning us crafty types) like trends/products/styles that might leave our non-crafty friends scratching their heads. This happened to me once as a SU demo. I had demo'd a vintage card with distressed and sponged edges. When I was finished, one of my customers confessed that she thought my sample card was dirty and kind of beaten up, until she watched me do all that stuff on purpose. (And she never did understand why in the world I would want to make something look aged.) So, with this card, I can totally imagine a non-crafty person (and maybe some crafty types, too!) wondering why the background is all splattered and the corners are all bent, you know?

 Back to my question: Do you try to match your card (not just the sentiment, but the overall style, too) to the recipient? Or do you give something you like, on the theory that your art is your gift, and if they "get" it, great, but if they don't, that's okay too? Or neither - it's the thought that counts, and the card itself is secondary?

I used to sell cards in a coffee shop through my dear friend June Houck of Simply Elegant Paper Crafts. She still sells her cards, and we were talking the other day about which cards sell and which ones don't. One of June's observations that really stood out was that the coffee shop customers are very literal. A card with balloons and the word "celebrate" may not sell, but anything with the traditional "happy birthday" sentiment will sell. Isn't that interesting? I'd bet pretty much anything this card wouldn't sell - LOL! 
[Why is there fruit on a thank-you card? Is that supposed to be a lemon - it's kind of orange-y? What about those words on the text print? What do a camera, fresh air and the word bloom have to do with thanks or with fruit? What's up with that background? Did she run out of clean paper? Four dollars? For this?]

Okay, I'm done now ;) But really, leave me a comment, I'm curious! 










INK: gold and green

PAPER: white card stock, Pink Paislee Citrus Bliss 6x6 collection, vellum

OTHER: pink, gold, green mists; black marker and air tool; foam tape adhesive; distressing tool





Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

Rebecca Ednie said...

I totally get what you are saying. Most people are very literal about their cards. Like a love card isn't good enough, has to say 'happy anniversary'. My mom thought it was weird when I have her a 'thinking of you' card when she had surgery. Figured it should say 'get well'. I tend to make cards for the intended recipient. I try to take into consideration their style and likes. If I don't know, I use plaid, stripes hardware and sometimes stars for guys and of course flowers for butterflies for ladies. I often look thru my stash for a card and end up making a new one anyway. The artsy ones are definitely for a select audience!

Kathy said...

Amy, I like the colors and fruits on your card. I must admit that I'm not a big fan of curled edges though. When I make cards I do attempt to make it for the recipient, using their favorite color if I know it, and wedding colors for anniversary and wedding cards. I guess that's why I don't (yet) have a supply of prepared cards ready to go, but I hope to change that someday! Finding time to make an original in a hurry can be difficult. Thanks for the inspiration in your card-making. :)

Tracy said...

Do i try to match the card to the recipient? Yes. and therein lies my problem a lot of the time - I've got what they like swirling around in my head so it often stops me from certain choices. At the same time I know the kinds of things they like and that can make it simpler (is this making any sense???) If I were making cards with no specific recipient in mind well then its a free-for-all - but Amy - i'm more of a CAS cardmaker and you (and June sometimes) are not - oui? So my birthday cards tend to say Happy Birthday (not as much "celebrate" and no "explore, dream, discover". oh we need to revisit this discussion at our next play date LOL!

Kelly Lunceford said...

I try to match colors and maybe an overall "feel" with my cards, but I really do my own thing. I think when you get a reputation as a card maker, most people just feel happy to get one of your creations. I haven't thought much about some of my design choices, but I guess there have been plenty of scratched heads over the years! LOL!

Kelly Lunceford said...

I try to match colors and maybe an overall "feel" with my cards, but I really do my own thing. I think when you get a reputation as a card maker, most people just feel happy to get one of your creations. I haven't thought much about some of my design choices, but I guess there have been plenty of scratched heads over the years! LOL!